[Reader-list] Freedom Gagged

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Mon Mar 1 12:29:56 IST 2010

Dear All,

Thank you, Pawan Durani, for sending us this two year old news.

  It is good to reflect on issues like this even if they are not
current. I think it is sad and deplorable that the Nawab of Arcot was
able to utilise muscle power and police to disrupt an exhibition in
2008. I totally condemn this attack on the freedom of expression. The
way to criticise an exhibition is not to use goons and the police to
shut it down, or to disrupt it, but to mount counter exhibitions, and
write critiques, organize discussions etc.

I do not personally like much of the work of the artist M.F. Husain,
though I think that the body of his work has a certain significance
in the history of modernist painting in India, and I think that the
efforts to disrupt exhibitions of his work in India are just as
deplorable as the efforts to disrupt the FACT exhibition that Pawan
Durani has informed us about. It is just as condemnable as the
banning of an academic book on Shivaji and his reign au thored by Jim
Laine in Maharshtra, the recent attempts at preventing the screenings
of the film My Name is Khan, or the somewhat older attempts to
prevent the screenings of the film 'Fire', the attempts to disrupt,
interrput and prevent public screenings of Jashn-e-Azaadi by Sanjay
Kak, or indeed the banning of the Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie,
or the attempts to prevent Taslima Nasreen from living in India.

  I hope that all of you, and especially Pawan will agree with me on
all this.

Surely, if we are committed to the freedom of speech and expression,
we are committed to its protection, regardless of whether or not we
like or even agree with what is being said or expressed.

regards,

Shuddha