[Reader-list] New school in Bangalore for children with learning disabilities

Chintan chintangirishmodi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 22:24:24 IST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Chetana Keni <iamchetana at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 8:13 PM
Subject: Remedial School - Learning Disbilities

  Hi Chintan

My name is Chetana Keni. I live in Bangalore. I work with Children with
Learning Difficulties.

I am trying to set up Remedial Centres and a Remedial School in Bangalore so
these children can be given specific help with the 3R's and
mainstreamed/homeschooled depending on the choice/need.

I am attaching a short writeup here. It is my passion to reach out to these
children and their parents so they are enjoy their childhood and celebrate
their uniqueness.

Kindly reply back if you have any more queries.

With best regards

Chetana

--

Dear All

I am starting a Remediation School for children diagnosed with learning
difficulties in the age group of 6-16 years in HSR Layout Bangalore. It is a
form of alternative schooling where you come to get your basic skills and
continue to either homeschool or mainstream. The program can be extended to
homeschoolers if they want an assisted collective learning environment for
the academics. Different time slots and days can be worked out.

I am a Special Educator and a School Counselor working with children with
Learning Difficulties. I have also homeschooled my gifted son with Specific
Learning Difficulties in Reading, Writing and Spelling for three years after
which he has decided to join school again for social interaction and
collective/collaborative learning opportunities which was difficult for me
to provide.

However the 3 years of a Total Remediation Program helped him to cope up,
regain confidence and also complete 5 grade levels in English, Math and
Science. Today he is considered as an asset to the School. Of course full
credit goes to the School also, who have agreed to make several
accommodations to nurture his intellectual gifts as well as manage his
difficulties.

Coming back to the Remedial School, the emphasis will be on helping these
children to pick up the 3R’s using techniques which I have designed, tried
and tested in the past four years. Our advisory panel consists of Special
Educators who have worked with LD since the last 20 years.

Children with LD have average to above average intelligence and generally do
not fit into the mainstream because of the one size fits all curriculum and
rote learning. In my experience these children learn want to know the *Why*and
*How* of anything they are asked to learn and learn best when these
questions are answered.

The School will share the campus with a mainstream concept school run by a
well known group who are into education from several years. They use
innovative teaching methods drawing upon the multiple intelligences of the
child. The curriculum is also delivered using a multisensory approach like
LCD Projectors and Videos etc.

Parents of children with LD will have a choice to either place their
children for a total remedial program at the Remedial School or elect for a
mix of the mainstream school with remedial assistance. A stop gap
arrangement also is available where children from other schools can take a
few months or year off from their regular school and attend here.
Homeschoolers who would want to continue with homeschooling can choose the
earlier program. The Remedial School will run from 9 am to 2 pm.

In addition we are offering an After School Remedial Program for children
attending any other mainstream school and who need help in specific areas
like Reading, Spelling, Written Expression and Comprehension. Special Study
Skill workshops and Group/Private Counseling is also offered for adolescents

The curriculum is being designed with the CBSE guidelines which will have a
total remedial base. This is to help children build up the required concepts
right from the beginning to enable them to successfully appear for the Open
Schooling/IGCSE exams. Children can also elect to seamlessly move into a
mainstream school when they feel they are ready.

If any of you need more details kindly contact me on 0-9-8-4-5-4-9-7-9-0-1
or email me at *iamchetana at yahoo.com*. Volunteers, Teachers and suggestions
are also welcome.

With warm regards

Chetana Keni