[Reader-list] The Importance of Being Arnab (Goswami)

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sat Mar 6 14:45:06 IST 2010

Dear All,

Apropos of the recent small flurry of TV news, and specifically Arnab
Goswami related posts on the list - here is something that I enjoyed
reading enormously, and so, thought that I would pass along to the
rest of the list - it was posted on a blog called www.rollon.in on
the 19th of December, 2009.

Enjoy,

Shuddha
--------------------
Arnab Goswami Allows Interviewee to Answer

http://www.rollon.in/2009/12/19/arnab-goswami-allows-interviewee-to-
answer/
In an unprecedented event earlier this evening, Arnab Goswami, the
Editor-In-Chief for Times Now, stayed silent for a full 5 seconds
during News Hour, allowing his guests to speak, and sending the TRP
ratings for the channel soaring through the roof. This shocking
moment occurred while the usually chirpy Arnab was interviewing an
expert panel of celebrities, regarding Borivali’s recent demand for
statehood.

The news has been received with varied reactions from all over.
Rajdeep Sardesai, from a competing news channel, said he’d like to
maintain a dignified silence regarding this development, right after
pointing out that the gimmick was ‘too low even by Arnab’s dwarfish
standards’. Mahesh Bhatt called in earlier today from his mobile home
parked permanently outside the offices of 24×7, saying that the news
was provocative, communal and biased. He further demanded that the
censor board be banned for this. When pointed out that the Censor
Board had no role to play in this incident, he said that it was
beside the point, and the censor board should be banned regardless.
Throughout the telecon, Suhel Seth, seated beside Mr. Bhatt, kept
shouting obsceneties. When asked to comment, he said that he was
infuriated with the situation for no particular reason and threatened
to go without a hair cut for a further six months.

The most candid response came from the expert panel itself.
Apparently, they were flabbergasted that Arnab betrayed their trust
on national television. As usual before News Hour, the panel had been
briefed that absolutely no answers would be required from them
throughout the program, since Arnab will keep questioning without
pauses; their role was restricted to trying to fit in as many
interjections and conjunctions (Whoa!, But, Ah!) in between to give
the illusion of them actually having something to say. So, fifteen
minutes into the program, Ms. Ameesha Patel was understandably
embarrassed when she found herself forced to sing ‘Yeahhh lazy lazy
lamhe…’ to Arnab’s question on her opinion on a federal government
structure.

On the other side of the border, Pakistan Interior Minister, Mr.
Rehman Malik, noted that this was a difficult time for Pakistan, and
urged the citizens to be brave and help the nation to collective
overcome these forces of evil. When reminded that it was the Times
Now incident and not another bomb blast for which his reaction was
being sought, he noted that this was a difficult time for Pakistan,
and urged the citizens to be brave and help the nation to collective
overcome the forces of evil.

Arnab himself chose to downplay the incident, pointing out that the
magnitude of the incident had been blown out of proportions by the
media. ‘I remember being silent for a full 6 seconds back in 1985
while honing my interviewing skills on my pet dog. That being said, I
know that the people of India are dying for an answer. So, you can
join us today on News Hour to find out WHY ARNAB PAUSED,’ said Arnab
with his trademark authoritative voice, while leaning over the desk
on one arm.

Note: All of this is obviously untrue. Arnab didn’t pause.

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
The Sarai Programme at CSDS
Raqs Media Collective
shuddha at sarai.net