[Reader-list] Meeting on the Ecological commons, struggles, alternatives they offer

Nagraj Adve nagraj.adve at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 13:07:31 IST 2010

Delhi Platform and NFFPFW

Invite you to participatory sessions

On the Ecological Commons & Conservation

10-11 March 2010, Hyderabad

As part of the Indian Social Science Congress
Focal Theme - Planet Earth in Crisis

Dear friends,

Are we up to the challenge of preserving our life-sustaining
ecological commons?  That is the central question facing humanity. For
the last 250 years, the dominant and pervasive model of development, a
consequence of industrial capitalism, has stressed many of nature’s
ecosystems and pushed natural cycles to breaking point. For people in
many regions of the country, this process of ‘development’ has meant
displacement, denial of access to the commons ¬– to their water,
rivers, land and forests – and repression when they resist these
processes.

In this context, it is only appropriate that efforts are made to bring
together forces asserting the common rights of the majority of the
people and trying to preserve our ecosystems, to share their
perspective and experiences.

We are organizing a meeting to discuss these concerns. Activists from
the following movements will present the issues highlighted by the
struggles in their areas, and also, importantly, what they see as
possible alternatives. Each presentation will be followed by open
discussions.

1.	Satish Londhe – Shramik Mukti Dal (Anti-coal power movement, Maharashtra)
2.	Pushpa Toppo – Jharkhand Jungle Bachao Andolan, Jharkhand
3.	Debjeet – Chhattisgarh Forest People’s movement, Chhattisgarh
4.	Guman Singh – Himayala Niti Abhiyan, Himachal Pradesh
5.	Mamata Dash – NFFPFW, Orissa (Niyamgiri)
6.	Asit Das – Agrarian Crisis & farmers
7.	Shweta Narayan, Equations
8.	Sagar Dhara, Hyderabad Platform
9.	Sebastian Rodrigues – MandGoa

To allow enough time for discussion, the meeting will take place over
two half days, on 10th and 11th. We would welcome your joining us and
actively participating in these discussions.

Meeting Venue: B.R. Ambedkar Open University, Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad
Dates: 10th and 11th March 2010
Time: 2-5.30 pm (both days)

In solidarity,
Soumya Dutta (Delhi Platform), Chairperson
Sanjay Basu Mallick (NFFPFW)

For any further details, please contact: Soumya Dutta, Delhi Platform
(chairperson) on 09213763756 or Nagraj Adve on 09910476553