[Reader-list] Feel free, Mr. Husain. Go paint Qatari leaders

Pheeta Ram pheeta.ram at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 01:53:08 IST 2010

Dear Shuddhabrata Sengupta

I don't know whether or not i am talking to myself or responding to your
stand. But actually i
am curious about one challenge that people, who have problems with Hussain's
depiction of Hindu goddesses
in the nude and who claim to represent the entire Hindu community, have
thrown at Hussain: try painting Mohammed, and to top it all, in the nude.
Those people who argue in the favour of Hussain by citing Khajuraho and the
history of Indian art fail to see that a Hindu in the contemporary times
don't worship in temples made like Khajuraho. You have a Kaali in the nude
or a Durga in Begal but not Sarswati.You can get away with painting anybody
and everybody in the nude but not the Prophet.

I am vaguely reminded of one book, which people are even forbidden to name
in public, which was written by a Hindu somewhere in the 1920s and which
portrayed prophet Mohammed in bad light. If i am not wrong, the writer was
killed by a Muslim for having written such a book.

i buy this argument as to why Hussain doesn't paint prophet Mohammed and
that too in the nude. Now i am not daring him to do it but trying to find
out   as to why Hussain's painterly imagination staggers at the thought of
doing so. I think only Hussain can answer this question. Either because of
being a Muslim he 'respects' the religious decree against depiction of the
Prophet or he is afraid of the consequences. Or the Muslim religious
imagination doesn't give itself so easily to a painterly imagination.

Hussain has every right to paint whatever he likes, he has all the freedom
to do so. But at the same time he should also be ready to bear the
consequences of the 'artistic' rejoinders that the specific interest groups
would draw in response to his work in the public space. The piece of art
begins at Hussains end but it completes itself at the end of the people who
protest against it and violently. I paint something in my studio and keep it
hidden in my cellar and then one day burns it without anybody's knowledge. I
paint something and shows it to my friend. He slaps on my face: I had
painted his old mother in the nude and, to top it all, i am not a very good
painter! My painting begins on the canvas but extends up to my reddened
cheek. The canvas has been extended a bit. My cheek is a part of the larger
canvas.

Hussain paints a nude Saraswati, a group registers its protest by
vandalising the exhibition space and tearing down the canvas. This 'event'
in history is the actual painting and our stances for or against keep
extending the canvas further. It all seems like a curious game. I have the
right to paint everything i like, i am an artist. I have the right to
respond to your painting and paint it the way i like and make it more
complete. I have the right to take sides, to defend Hussain's right to paint
and to defend the freedom of expression as the fundamental human right, and
add my colours to it. And the painting gets painted. Its just that Hussain
needs to share his earnings with everybody else who helps paint this huge
canvas!

Pheeta Ram