[Reader-list] Fwd: Feel free, Mr. Husain. Go paint Qatari leaders

meera rammohan m.rammohan70 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 16:24:21 IST 2010

Well, there are two things here:

Is the work of offensive to someone?
Did the artist, writer or filmmaker etc INTEND  to denigrate Hindu gods?

I think that the limits of decency cannot be specified, especially in art.
This is because, they are generally considered to be expressions of creative
energy of an artist. Even the smallest thing (if the climate is ripe for it)
can give rise to offence. When an attitude of tolerance does not exist
towards other religions (in this case Hindus towards Muslims and vice versa)
the smallest remark, or gesture can be construed as offensive to the other
party. This is the foundation of prejudice.

The other thing is a lack of understanding of the process and value of art
itself exists among a vast majority of conservative Hindus who feel that
they need to constantly "protect" a culture and tradition which can very
well take care of itself! Something so vital, close to the people's hearts
cannot be taken away overnight because of a single painting, in my opinion!

When I look at all the other paintings of Husain, I am amazed by the
abstract expressionism, a free-wheeling and bold interpretation of several
universal themes, as for instance in his Mahabharata series. From those huge
canvasses which depict Ganga and Yamuna, Arjuna and Chariot, Bhishma, Bhima
etc it seems like his conceptual abilities are extraordinarily
creative---and his artistic skill is expansive and brilliant. It cannot be
limited to just one world-view under narrow labels of "Hindu" "Islamic" and
so forth. He has freely used imagery, iconic representations from one set of
symbols based on Hindu religion and mythology----but the images transcend
mere religion. Obviously these are not MEANT to be worshipped as one would
the same goddesses at a temple----we need to only look upon them as art,
without boundaries.

I doubt that an artist of his calibre would have gone about purposely to
"denigrate" these symbols. As Husain himself said "Nudity is to construed as
purity". In Western European and modern art Nude paintings have their own
value mainly due to their powerful, bold representation of form.

When we see Durga astride the tiger, I feel a powerful force that is
mightier than normal is at work. She has 3 faces (can it be because she
received boons from all 3 gods Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva) and I am not sure
if there is any sexual act here at all! It is almost as though she has
assumed the form of Narasimha (with the face and front part being lion and
the back is Woman in her fierce aspect). The legs of Durga are as sturdy as
trees, and she is capable of quelling and cutting off the head of any demon.
She is therefore not any ordinary goddess (even according to conventional
Hinduism). Similarly the nude Sita on Hanuman is not shocking to my
mind---because I can see by the body language of Sita a certain despair,
sorrow and pain---she is holding on for dear life. Hanuman is leaping, with
one leg across mountains which he has left behind, while the other enormous
leg has already leapt across the ranges in front. The whole picture is one
of power and pathos put together. Also the goddess forms of Saraswati,
Lakshmi, Sita, while being nude----still do not convey any idea of vulgarity
or pornography (at least to me). The breasts themselves are drawn with
elegance.

I am not sure why I should feel offended by all this actually----the images
do not speak to me of a depraved mind----but one that is steeped in visual
expansiveness.
My intention here is not to "defend" Husain----no, not at all. I think
anyone can express their anguish and their sense of affront if they believe
their religion is being purposely maligned. But the propanda around this is
so full of hysteria that it does not allow for any sane discussion. The
images have now been so besmirched, it is almost taken for granted that they
are vulgar beyond all imagining. We need to cultivate a better climate for
debate, discussion and opinion-making in this country.
Meera