[Reader-list] Iranian Filmmaker Abbas Kiarostami Speaks Out on Prisoners

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 11 20:54:18 IST 2010

Thanks Shuddha for this. Jafar Panahi's masterful work is a testimony to  his humanism,love for his country and empathy towards the common Iranian. His opposition to the Iranian regime maybe political but as expressed through his work (I have seen Crimson Gold and Off Side) is couched in social terms.It should also be pointed out that while most of the Iranian artists tend to leave Iran to exercise their freedom of expression he lives there and continues to work in the most trying of conditions.
To get a sense of perspective, we can look at the hue and cry made over the detention of Roman Polanski for, what, one may argue, entirely valid reasons. Panahi is no less a filmmaker than Polanski, and it is horrifying that the detention of an artist of such a stature is not raising more of a storm in world media.