[Reader-list] Question regarding women's reservation bill

Rahul Asthana rahul_capri at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 11 23:26:51 IST 2010

Hi Taraprakash,
Besides the point made by Rakesh, my biggest problem with this scheme is the uncertainty involved about the next ticket. I do not have anything against reservation per se. Actually I do not like Madhu Kishwar's scheme either. Fixed constituencies are the best way forward, IMHO of course.Also, this is a very non trivial change that can potentially shake the very foundations of democracy. Hence I do not believe that experiment as you go is an option here. Maybe all parties can iron out the kinks.We should have more debate on this.
Thanks
Rahul

Dear Taraprakash

It is very easy to say that one should contest as an independent candidate. If you really wish to know how elections are played like a drama, please read P.Sainath on www.indiatogether.org, for Maharashtra elections in 2009 (both Lok Sabha and assembly). Read on how millions were spent in the name of publicity by the candidates which were never accounted for, and in what great ways. An independent candidate will never be able to do that, unless of course he/she is corrupt.

Indian democracy is a joke, not a democracy please! Even the elections are manipulated like anything. From media management to distributing sarees before the public, our democracy is indeed a joke. And when all of us are to blame for it, where can we hide at all?

Rakesh