[Reader-list] Feel free, Mr. Husain. Go paint Qatari leaders

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Mar 12 01:46:42 IST 2010

Dear Rakesh,

Thanks for your points. I think that anyone (regardless of whether or
not they are believers) should have the right to be as critical or
creative or heretical or blasphemous (or even flippant, or
irreverent) with any figure or motifs in any religious tradition, be
it Islam, Christianity, or Hinduism (or any other). This does not
mean, that I will automatically agree with or endorse any and every
such attempt. But who is to decide as to what is a serious
engagement, and what is heretical, blasphemous or creative?
Ultimately, tese are questions not only of intention, but also of
interpretation and reading. And every question of interpretation and
reading is deeply subjective. There simply cannot be objective
criteria for the validation of one reading over another. To even
pretend that there can is to profoundly misunderstand art and any
form of human creative activity.

In some Shia traditions, it is perfectly legitimate, even respectful,
to make images of Imam Ali, even (in some rare cases)  of the Prophet
Muhammad himself. There is also a strong body of frankly erotic
poetry that addresses the prophet as a beautiful and beloved man. It
is not a reticent tradition. But the same image, and the same words
may be counted as insulting and derogatory in certain streams of
orthodox Sunni Islam. Now, why should only the latter, prohibitory,
practice prevail, and not the former?

The loss, and gradual shrinking of spaces of heterodoxy within
Islamicate traditions in South Asia is a profound tragedy. Just as
tragic as the attempt to straightjacket popular Hinduism in an
unthinking, unreflecting, unfree space of cultural repression and
denial by the Hindu right. Both need to be mourned, and combatted.
Some years ago, a scholar by the name of Jeffrey Kripal wrote a book
called 'Kali's Child' in which he argued, on the basis of his close
reading of a memoir of the bengali mystic Ramakrishna by one of his
dsiciples (identified as 'Sri M') that Ramakrishna Paramhansa (Swami
Vivekananda's mentor) was homosexual, and that he was erotically
attracted to the young Vivekananda. Now it is possible to argue
against this contention, on the grounds that it is an interpretation
that cannot be logically defended. But, we saw a call to ban the
book. I think it is not an insult to Ramakrishna to suggest that he
was homosexual. It may, or may not be accurate. I do not think that
the author viewed his scholarship as insulting of Sri Ramakrishna by
any stretch of imagination. But he (and his book) was treated not as
parties to an argument, but as criminals. It is this illiberality
that is profoundly debilitating. And, no, I do not think that either
Hindus or Muslims have more of this illiberality in them. Frankly,
there is intolerance, as well as open-mindedness in all traditions.
So, I think to make this a 'Hindu versus Muslim' question is to
pursue a red herring.

I have at all times defended the rights of people like Taslima
Nasrin, Irshad Manji and Salman Rushdie to have their work seen,
read, and heard in India, (and elsewhere) and no amount of hysterical
'Islam in danger' rhetoric spouted by Muslim fundamentalists and
obscurantists, or patronizing 'Muslims must be treated differently'
by so called secular progressives will make me change my mind that
the cases of M.F, Husain and Taslima Nasrin are identical, and should
be treated identically. Both should be free to do, or not do whatever
they choose, based on their own volition and understandiing. I think
too much is made of the 'hurt sentiments' of the spokesmen of this or
that community, and not enough is made of the fact that those of us
who are comfortable contemplating a nude Durga or Saraswati or a
frankly erotic 'naat' about the prophet Muhammad may also have
sentiments worth defending.

Finally, there is the point of 'why does Husain not paint Muslim
personages', that has been raised on this forum, sometimes
repeatedly. I do not think we have any business telling artists what
they should be painting, just as we have no business telling artists
what they should not be painting. There is nothing wrong in someone
not wanting to make a particular work, or in a particular kind of
way. I see absolutely no justification in demanding that just because
an artist has done 'X' he or she should automatically also be
expected to do 'Y'. An artist is not at any person's beck or call,
and this kind of 'farmaishi' or command tyranny is totally
antithetical to the spirit of the freedom in the arts.

However, if any one (including Husain) were to decide one fine day
that they wanted to paint an image of the prophet Muhammad, that they
wanted to paint an erotic episode from his life, or that they wanted
to represent say, Hazrat Ayesha, or Fatima, or even make what might
be considered (by themselves, by others, by some, or by all) to be a
derogatory image, I would categorically say that they should have the
full freedom to do so. And I would defend their right to do so.
Please understand that by defending their right to do such an act, I
am not by any means defending the content of their actions.

In the case of the Danish cartoons, I have said repeatedly, and will
say again. I find the images to be in abysmally poor taste, and I am
sharply critical of them. However, I think that if some people want
to debase themselves by making or publishing such images, they should
have the freedom to do so, and that freedom should be protected. I
have argued this position at length elsewhere, and I have used
precedents from within Islamicate history and the Muslim tradition to
make my argument. I see no contradiction in these two positions. I
think that the Danish cartoons must be relentlessly criticized, as
all bad art should be, by all those who recognize it to be bad art.
But that does not mean that we have the right to threaten people, or
commit violence, or censor, or otherwise prevent such images from
being circulated.

The only exception that I make is for documentary, live-action
photographs of children, animals or people who are not in a position
to consent to be represented,  for pornographic purposes. In such
instances, I would call for a ban, because the taking of the
photograph itself constitutes a violation of the right to consent or
not consent to the making of an image.

However debased or obscene an image of someone we consider holy may
be, the mere fact of the production of the image does not constitute
a violence on the person represented by the image. Hence, since we
can all choose, either to not see, or to criticize such images, by
our words, or by making 'counter-images' , I do not consider mere
insult, or obscenity, or heresy or blasphemy to be sufficient grounds
for the censoring of artwork.

I hope I have made myself clear.

best,

Shuddha