[Reader-list] Fwd: Feel free, Mr. Husain. Go paint Qatari leaders

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Fri Mar 12 04:47:28 IST 2010

Dear Pawan,

My copy of the highly respected Sanskrit lexicographer Vaman Shivaram
Apte's 'Practical Sanskrit English Dictionary' (Motilal Banarsidass
Publishers, Delhi), which I always keep close at hand, lists 19
meanings and forms of the word linga on page 1666, including some
that approximate the 'Mark' and 'abstract symbol of god' that you
refer to.

However, definition 10, clearly states - Linga - is- "The genital
organ of Shiva, worshipped as a Phallus". I think Vaman Shivaram Apte
is competent to explain what the term 'Linga' represents in Sanksrit.
If this were not the case, there would be no reason why his
dictionary would have  been in continued usage as a scholarly and
pedagogical tool since it was first published in 1890.

You could also check the more voluminous dictionary of Monier Monier
Williams, (also Motilal Banarsidass Publishers, Delhi) which, though
not as close at hand as the Apte, is still sufficiently close at
hand  for me to consult it readily. Monier Williams too, on page 901
glosses Linga - as the "male organ or phallus (especially that of
Siva) worshipped in the form of a stone or marble column which
generally rises out of a yoni, and is set up in temples dedicated to
Siva". Of course there are several other senses of the word given,
but undeniably, for Monier Monier Williams, as for Apte, the Linga is
also Siva's phallus. The world of Sanskrit lexicography and
dictionaries is more or less bracketed between Apte and Monier
Williams. If anyone had to look for what 'Linga' means, he or she
would have to look in one or both these books.

I agree with you that any 'wrong description where it involves faith
of millions would be a wrong thing to do'. Having said that, I wonder
why you want to perpetuate an incomplete and partial explanation of
the term 'Linga'. Clearly, one of its robust senses is that of being
Shiva's phallus. If you think that this is not the case, or if you
intend to indulge in dissimulation, as you seem to be doing, then you
are in fact insulting the faith and practices of millions who know
very well what the word 'Linga' means.

As someone who has time and again seen countless depictions of Shiva
with an erect phallus in tantrik Shaivite or Shakta contexts and
temples in Bengal, I find your suggestion that this in fact
inauthentic quite insulting and disturbing. It certainly does
violence to some of the cultural inheritances that I can claim for my
self.
Bengali folklore's affection for 'Nangta Shib' and his prodigious
member is something we could all celebrate for its joyous affirmation
of erotic and procreative energies. Why on earth would you want me,
or anyone else, to be ashamed of it instead?

Perhaps you need a closer acquaintance with the traditions you say
you revere. A close reading of any standard Sanskrit dictionary could
be a start.

best

Shuddha

On 11-Mar-10, at 7:30 PM, Pawan Durani wrote:

> [...]
>>> trying to
>>> teach children. It was done not only in good faith but as a part of
>>> inculcating values to children from the Koran. All hell broke loose.
>>> Your office witnessed goons who rushed in — demanded an apology —
>>> held
>>> out threats. In Ambur, Vaniambadi and Vellore the papers stands were
>>> burned — the copies of The Hindu were consigned to the fire. A
>>> threat
>>> to raise the issue in Parliament through a Private Members Bill was
>>> held out — Hectic activities went on — I am not sure of the
>>> nature and
>>> the machinations behind the scene. But The Hindu next day brought
>>> out
>>> a public apology in its front page. Where were you Ram? How secular
>>> and tolerant were the Muslims?
>>>
>>> Well this is of the past — today it is worse because the communal
>>> temperature in this country is at a all high — even a small friction
>>> can ignite and demolish the country’s peace and harmony. It is
>>> against
>>> this background that one should view Hussain who is bent on abusing
>>> and insulting the Hindu Gods and Goddesses. Respect for religious
>>> sentiments, need to maintain peace and harmony should also be
>>> part of
>>> the agenda of an artist — if he is great. If it is absent then he
>>> cannot say that he respects India and express his longing for India.
>>>
>>> Let’s face it — he is a fugitive of law. Age and religion are
>>> immaterial. What does the media want — that he be absolved by the
>>> courts? Even for that he has to appear in the courts — he cannot run
>>> away. After all this is the country where he lived and gave
>>> expression
>>> to his pervert sadist, erotic artistic mind under Freedom of
>>> Expression. I simply cannot jump onto the bandwagon of the elite
>>> ‘secularist’ and uphold what he had done. With his brush he had
>>> committed jihad — bloodletting.
>>>
>>> The issue is just not nudity — Yes the temples, the frescos in
>>> Konarak
>>> and Kajhuraho have nude figures. But does it say that they are Sita,
>>> Sarswati or any goddesses? We have the Yoni and the Phallus as
>>> sacred
>>> signs of Life-of Siva and Shakthi — take these icons to the streets,
>>> paint them — give it a caption it becomes vulgar. Times have
>>> changed.
>>> Even granted that our ancients sculptured and painted naked forms
>>> and
>>> figures, with a pervert mind to demean religion is no license to
>>> repeat that in today’s changed political and social scenario and is
>>> not a sign of secularism and tolerance. I repeat there is no quarrel
>>> with nudity — painters have time and again found in it the
>>> perfection
>>> of God’s handicraft.
>>>
>>> Let me wish Hussain peace in Qatar — the totalitarian regime with
>>> tolerance. May be he will convince the regime there to permit