[Reader-list] Hizbul bets on My Name is Khan

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 16:25:55 IST 2010

http://news.outlookindia.com/item.aspx?677087

Kin and neighbours of Bashir Ahmad Baba alias "Pepsi Bomber", a
suspected Hizbul Mujahideen militant arrested by Gujarat police,
staged a peaceful demonstration today and sought intervention of Chief
Minister Omar Abdullah for his release.

"We request Abdullah to intervene as Bashir is innocent and was
implicated by Gujarat police in a false case," Nazir Ahmad, brother of
Bashir, told reporters here.

He termed the Gujarat police allegations that Bashir was recruiting
youth for training in Pakistan, as baseless and unfounded

"My brother is not affiliated with any militant outfit. The Gujarat
police has not substantiated its claim that he was recruiting youth
for training. Tell us who has been recruited by our brother for
training?" he asked.

Gujarat police on Sunday claimed to have foiled a plan by
Pakistan-based Hizbul Mujahideen to set up base in the state with the
arrest of Baba. Police alleged that Baba was recruiting youths and had
conducted a Reece many sites, including ISRO and Akshardham.

Ahmed, a resident of Rainawari locality of old city, said the family
approached Rural Development Minister Ali Mohammad Sagar and submitted
an application seeking intervention of the state government. "Three
days have passed but we have not been informed about the outcome" he
added.

The protestors, including women, chanted slogans and said they will
continue the peaceful protests till Bashir is released.

EOM