[Reader-list] Pad.ma is looking for transcribers and annotators in Mumbai and Bangalore

Subuhi Jiwani subuhimjiwani at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 21 12:52:38 IST 2010

Dear all,

It would wonderful if you could circulate this widely and help us spread the word.

Best,

Subuhi Jiwani
Content Coordinator
Pad.ma (http://pad.ma)

-----------------------------------

Pad.ma is looking for transcribers and annotators in Mumbai and
Bangalore

Pad.ma (Public Access Digital Media Archive, http://pad.ma)
is an interpretative, web-based video archive, which was launched as a public
website in February 2009. It works primarily with footage and not finished
films. Pad.ma creates access to material which is easily
lost in editing processes, in the filmmaking economy, and in changes of scale
brought about by digital technology. Unlike Youtube, the focus here is on
annotation, cross-linking, downloading and the reuse of video material for
pedagogy, research and reference. For more, see http://pad.ma/about.

Pad.ma proposes that film and video-based "production"
can be thought of as an expanded field of activity. For example, as a filmmaker
publishing video that is not a film, a researcher probing documentary images, a
film editor organising footage using the archive, a writer commenting on one or
many video pieces, or an institution offering material for public use.

Currently, the archive has some 500 contributions of densely-annotated
video material and 7 days 21 hours
53 minutes 35 seconds of fully transcribed video footage. It contains full-length interviews, footage often
left out of documentaries, clips from commercial cinema, some finished films,
recordings of theatrical and dance performances, public talks and academic
seminars, etc. It covers a gamut of topics like redevelopment, transport,
livelihoods, community media, gender, sexuality, surveillance technologies,
CopyLeft, representational politics in cinema, and neighbourhoods in Mumbai, to
name a few.

For a report on the ways in which users have engaged with Pad.ma,
see: http://camputer.org/event.php?this=padma09&tab=optBtn2
(To read through annotations use the 9 and 0 keys to move forwards and
backwards.)

A person doing transcription and/or annotation would

> Prepare videos for exhibition online: Transcribe
them in detail, add keywords and map videos on Google maps.
See ‘Collateral Damage of Breaking News’: http://pad.ma/Vt3ss7b7/editor

> Assist Pad.ma users and contributors to do
research for their Pad.ma annotations.
See the NGO Ghar Bachao Ghar Banao Andolan’s annotations: http://pad.ma/Vtowua9j/L2kv9

> Research specific topics that emerge from existing
Pad.ma material and write annotations.
See Lawrence Liang’s critical annotations on cinema: http://pad.ma/Vgpe12kp/editor

We are looking for people who

> are passionate about moving images and life around them.
> are keen to do a combination of transcribing, writing and research.
> are comfortable working with computers and people.

Transcribers and annotators can work out of the offices of CAMP, Mumbai (http://camputer.org),or the Alternative Law Forum, Bangalore
(http://www.altlawforum.org), or as
freelancers. They will report on a day-to-day basis to the Pad.ma Content
Coordinator.

Salary is commensurate with the applicant’s experience. Technical
skills, especially video editing, are a plus but not necessary. We welcome
applications from working professionals and students, from a variety of fields
and disciplines.

Please send us your CV and a paragraph
outlining your responses to the Pad.ma project. You can write to the Content
Coordinator at subuhi at pad.ma.

***Pad.ma is best viewed in Firefox or Safari. It is not yet compatible
with Internet Explorer.***