[Reader-list] The CPCB report on Pollution - It is not about pollution in a State (my take)

Rakesh Iyer rakesh.rnbdj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 23 23:45:33 IST 2010

@ Dear Malik

I have never said that Bihar has not changed. I have placed the facts before
the public. Let the people decide for themselves how much is that change
relevant and whether things need to improve or not. By the way, even rural
people acknowledge development taking place and do realize the good
intentions of Nitish administration.

But certain trends under the current regime are not good, which is what I
highlighted. And also, the Nitish Kumar govt. is deliberately fudging
figures to show a goody-goody image rather than the reality which is
somewhat better than Lalu but not goody-goody (like say Kal ho na Ho, the
Shahrukh Khan film).

I don't know where this stagnating mindset comes from.

And as for the Bihar govt. , it's real intentions will come to the fore when
we find out whether it has the guts to implement the recommendations of the
land reforms and the education committee which it had constituted.

@ Kshamendra ji:

I am certainly disgusted if I am one of the persons behind that disclaimer
to be put up. It does not and should not matter whether you are a Hindutva
supporter or not. For me, it certainly doesn't with regard to your idea.

@ All:

I am sorry but I have not been able to find any news link in ANI which
corresponds to the article I put up. Hence I am sorry for that. The facts
may be right (and some certainly are), but they seem to have been distorted
to put up the wrong idea. Gujarat may have more hazardous waste generation,
but I haven't seen any link on CPCB or official one which states Gujarat as
the most polluting state.

However, they have been put up on many news links. I don't know what that
means. It may be wrong or right. Since I haven't found it, I apologize for
the article I put up.

I guess that settles the issue.

I also wish to state what I believe about the Narendra Modi administration.
According to me, he has a very skewed notion of development. The basis of
that originates from the way he won the election, on the plank of communal
polarization (where Mian Musharraf was his favorite go-to word). The failure
has also been that the state administration has not attempted to help even
now either those who suffered economically or personally (loss of lives of
dear ones) through getting them justice, nor has tried to improve the
communication amongst communities and thereby solve problems.

As for all the talk about economic growth, I am not certain that without
Modi, Gujarat would not have achieved it. May be yes, may be not. But yes,
he does deserve some credit for it (even if it's just plain luck and nothing
else), as much as the other actors responsible for it deserve. But for one
indicator doing well, another indicator seems to be going haywire. So if the
female-male sex ratio improves, the PDS distribution becomes worse. Hence
his rule is not the 'golden period' of Gujarat.

As for his becoming PM, I would oppose it for one simple reason: anybody who
wants to become the Prime Minister of India should both be a 'People's man'
and believe in the idea of India. And his idea of India was stated long back
in 2002 Gujarat pogrom, when both Godhra and post-Godhra took place.

Rakesh