[Reader-list] Running Out Of Steam

hany babu hanybabu at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 01:40:19 IST 2010

i found the blog post quite funny...

while the author seems to be supporting reservation for women, he
categorically says that the politics the yadavs represent is "the past tense
of Indian politics, a politics where identity mattered more than issues".

my question is this: isn't gender a part of one's identity? or is it an
"issue"? in my opinion, gender is as much part of one's identity as anything
else. so if one supports reservation based on gender, then shouldn't that
politics also be part of the "past tense of indian politics"?

but strangely, those who support reservation for women (as it exists in the
current bill) are seen to be the most progressive futurists.

what makes "gender" as a thing of the future and "caste" as a thing of the
past?

according to rajdeep sardesai's logic, both should belong to the past. but
the tenor of the article doesn't seem to suggest so. talk about a text
deconstructing itself....

one last comment: at least in an article where it is argued that caste is a
thing of past, the author could have taken care not to use casteist remarks
like "yadav troika"...

regards
hany.