[Reader-list] For 'book activists' and community libraries

Chintan chintangirishmodi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 10:23:51 IST 2010

>From http://blog.prathambooks.org/2010/03/shall-i-give-you-good-book.html

On my recent trip to Varanasi, I discovered an unassuming little treasure
called क्या मैं तुम्हें एक अच्छी किताब दूं? शौकिया पुस्तक कर्मियों के लिए एक
किताब (translated as Shall I Give You a Good Book? A Book for Amateur Book
Activists), that was published way back in 2003.

As I savoured page after page, there was absolute admiration for the
sincerity and sheer commitment on the part of the authors -- Usha Rao, T.
Vijayendra, and Shailaja Kalle. As the preface will tell you, none of them
are native speakers of Hindi, and have not studied the language beyond high
school. While they apologise for the inaccuracies that might have crept into
their use of the language, they also express a conviction that the
earnestness of their intent will more than compensate.

They have put together an excellent resource for people who want to start
community libraries in villages and small towns, or hold book exhibitions to
create awareness about the vast amount of reading material that is
available, or even run small bookshops.

The book starts off as a letter written by Usha to her friends Damayanti and
Shyama, and spans the whole gamut of practical details involved in such an
enterprise; from initiating contact with publishers, to filing
correspondence, keeping accounts, selecting and ordering books, classifying
books based on age group and genre, generating interest in reading, and
sustaining a culture of reading. In addition to this, the book also offers
you publisher contact information and lists of books classified under
various categories.

It is a low-budget publication, in keeping with the constituency it sets out
to serve. The book may not be printed on fancy and colourful paper, but the
anecdotes and sketches liven it up. Priced at a modest Rs. 25, it is a
collaborative venture by eight publishers from various parts of the country.
I am reproducing here the address of each, so that you can pick up your copy
from the one that you find most convenient.

Manchi Pustakam, 12-13-452 Street No. 1, Tarnaka, Secunderabad, Andhra
Pradesh 500017. Tel. 040-27015295/6

http://manchipustakam.in/contact.asp

Bal Sahitya Bhandar, Chaurai, Post Barginagar, Dist. Jabalpur 482056. Madhya
Pradesh

Rupantar, A 26, Surya Apartments, Katora Taalaab, Raipur 492001,
Chhattisgarh. Tel. 0771-2424669

Shishu Milap, 1, Shrihari Apartments, Behind Express Hotel, Alkapuri,
Vadodara 390007. Gujarat. Tel. 0265-2342539

Sahitya Chayan, 91, L. I. G., Hastal, Uttamnagar, New Delhi 110059. Tel.
011-25633254

Bal Sahiti, Voluntary Health Association of Punjab, S. C. F., 18/1, Sector
10-D, Chandigarh 160011. Tel. 0172-543557

Roshnai Prakashan, 212 C.L./A., Ashok Mitra Road, Near Circus Maidan,
Kanchrapada, North 24 Parganas, West Bengal.

Jeevan Mangalya, Near Telephone Exchange, Kausani, Dist. Almora 263639,
Uttarakhand.

PS: Many thanks to Hema-ji for introducing me to this wonderful book