[Reader-list] People protest shifting of Army camp

Aditya Raj Kaul kauladityaraj at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 09:02:10 IST 2010

*People protest shifting of Army camp*

Daily Excelsior Correspondent

*Srinagar, Mar 24: *In a major development, a large number of people of
Gadbad village in Lolab valley of Kupwara district in North Kashmir today
protested against the proposed shifting of an Army camp located in the area.

The residents blocked all roads leading out of the camp area to prevent
troops from moving from the place. They also petitioned senior officers
including Commander 8 Sector Rashtriya Rifles to reconsider the decision to
relocate the camp.

"We do not want the Army to shift its camp from here. They have protected us
from militants and their excesses. We do not want the dark days to return.
If required, we will approach the highest possible authority including in
Delhi", said 75-year-old Ghulam Ahmad Sheikh.

Sheikh's two daughterswere killed by militants in late 1990s.

Defence sources said it was the first instance where people have openly come
out against shifting of a security forces camp from their area as they fear
return of militancy there.

Earlier, several protests have been held at many places including Bomai in
Sopore area and Pakharpora in Pulwama by local residents, demanding shifting
of security forces' camps from their areas.

A Defence spokesman said the Lolab Valley was a hotbed of militancy till the
establishment of various Rashtriya Rifles camps in the area provided a sense
of security to the locals.

Defence spokesman Lt Col J S Brar said "readjustment of troops in active
counter insurgency operations is a dynamic and ongoing process. However,
this is a very heartening development. The senior officers are aware of the
matter and the security grid will not be affected."

--
Aditya Raj Kaul

Cell -  +91-9873297834
Blog: http://activistsdiary.blogspot.com/

For a man who no longer has a homeland, writing becomes a place to live.