[Reader-list] Right to Education Act: Private schools as catalysts?

Chintan chintangirishmodi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 08:36:42 IST 2010

Excerpt from
http://www.hindu.com/mag/2010/03/28/stories/2010032850120400.htm

The Right to Free and Compulsory Education Act, to be notified on April 1,
could alter the educational landscape. But can private institutions
contribute to its application? Dr. A.Kumaraswamy and Alok Mathur give some
pointers…

The Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Act (RTE Act) will be
notified on April 1. The Act attempts to address the historical problem of
continuing illiteracy as well as the lack of educational opportunities that
persist for sections of our population even sixty years after adoption of
the Indian constitution. The socio-political, legal and financial aspects of
the Act have been much debated and its final form much critiqued. As we draw
nearer its implementation stage, it is clear that this Act will change the
educational landscape of the country. However, the specific educational
steps needed to meet its wide-ranging provisions remain far from clear.

Taking the perspective of a non-profit institution with a commitment to
quality education for urban and rural children, we indicate some likely
pitfalls in the implementation of the RTE Act. We then make some suggestions
on the possible roles that private schools may play in order to support the
quality-related and egalitarian provisions of the RTE Act.

Dr. A. Kumaraswamy is Principal, Rishi Valley School.

Alok Mathur is Director, Teacher Education, Rishi Valley School.

For the entire article, visit
http://www.hindu.com/mag/2010/03/28/stories/2010032850120400.htm