[Reader-list] JKCCS Appeal to United Jehad Council, Indian Army and Police

S. Jabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Tue May 4 10:55:46 IST 2010

Bravo! Excellent effort.

> From: Shuddhabrata Sengupta <shuddha at sarai.net>
> Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 10:09:40 +0530
> To: sarai-list list <reader-list at sarai.net>
> Subject: [Reader-list] JKCCS Appeal to United Jehad Council, Indian Army and
> Police
>
> Dear all,

Please find below and appeal from the Jammu and Kashmir Coalition
> of
Civil Society, appealing impartially to the leadership of the United

Jehad Council (who claim to represent a significant section of the

insurgents in Jammu and Kashmir) and the leadership political-

administrative, police, military and paramilitary structures that are

operational in the part of the state of Jammu and Kashmir
administered by
> India. The appeal in a sense asks for guarantees that
civilians and unarmed
> people in general will not be targetted by
either party. I hope that such
> initiatives gain strength, not only in
Jammu and Kashmir, but in other parts
> of our troubled subcontinent.

best

Shuddha
---------------------

3rd May,
> 2010
Press Release

On Friday 30th April, Jammu and Kashmir Coalition of Civil
> Society
(JKCCS) sent an appeal for the observance of International

Humanitarian Law in Jammu and Kashmir to:

1.      Chief Minister and
> Chairman of Unified High Command Mr. Omar
Abdullah,
2.      Chairman United
> Jehad Council, Mr. Syed Sallahudin,
3.      Core Commander, Northern Command
> of Indian Army, Lt. Gen BS
JASWAL
4.      Director General, Jammu and
> Kashmir Police, Mr. Kuldeep Khoda
5.      I. G.P. CRPF, Mr. P.V.K. Reddy

We
> as a civil society organisation feel duty-bound to remind the
state as well
> as non-state actors of their moral/legal/religious
obligations in the
> context of continuing armed conflict, about their
responsibilities in
> protecting civilian lives, property and civil
rights.
JKCCS has requested
> both state and non-state combatants to consider
the below attached appeal
> and make public commitment in this regard
besides taking necessary
> safeguards in adhering to the basic
principles of International Humanitarian
> Law in Jammu and Kashmir.
So far JKCCS has not received any response from any
> side regarding
this appeal. We today are making this appeal public in order
> to build
public opinion and solicit public response to our concerns from
> both
state and non-state combatants.
We believe the positive response from
> the state and non-state
combatants regarding our appeal will go a long way
> in increasing an
atmosphere of security for the civilian lives, dignity and
> property
in Jammu and Kashmir.

President
Ad. Parvez Imroz

APPEAL FOR THE
> OBSERVANCE OF INTERNATIONAL HUMANITARIAN LAW IN JAMMU
AND KASHMIR

As a
> state, India is signatory to Geneva Conventions and other
International
> humanitarian instruments, which regulate conduct of
combat in all conflict
> situations wherein tensions heighten to direct
hostilities among states or
> between state and certain non-state
actors/groups.

Being signatory to
> Geneva Conventions brings in its wake various
moral/legal checks upon states
> in their conduct of combat operations
particularly when the sites of
> hostilities involve/ and is
interspersed with huge civilian spaces.

Jammu
> and Kashmir has been the main site of hostilities particularly
during the
> last two decades, between Indian state actors represented
by its personnel
> in military/para-military/Police against armed
militants belonging to
> various outfits working under an alliance of
United Jehad Council
> (UJC).

UJC in the year 2005 adopted and publicized its Code of Conduct which

was supposed to be binding on all the armed militant organizations
and
> their cadres operating in Jammu and Kashmir. This Code of Conduct
was a
> unilateral commitment of UJC to abide by some of the basic
principles of
> International Humanitarian Law. Later in October 2007
UJC, while signing the
> Unilateral Declaration on the Ban of use of
landmines also reiterated its
> commitment to abide by all four
covenants of Geneva Conventions.

State of
> India, through its signing of various International
humanitarian instruments
> and United Jehad Council (also its
constituents) through their unilateral
> declarations, Code of Conduct
and various public statements have been
> reiterating their position
vis-à-vis the loss of civilian lives and property
> and talking about
their mechanisms for ensuring protection of civilian life
> and property.

However, commitments made by the state of India, besides her

promises, from time to time has seen very little or no enforcement on

ground during the heightened phase of conflict for the last two
decades
> particularly with respect to the treatment meted out to
civilian population.
> Despite all the public commitments people of
Jammu and Kashmir continue to
> witness loss of civilian lives,
destruction of their property and denial of
> civil and political rights.

Also, the promises of non-state
> actors/organizations/groups hold
little water in terms of their realization
> on ground. Civilian spaces
continue to remain a contested site of direct
> hostilities between non-
state and the state actors, which result in loss of
> precious lives,
torture and humiliation of civilian populations.

There have
> been consistent media reports streaming in for the last
few months about
> Œsome looming prospect of escalation in the direct
hostilities between the
> state and non-state forces¹. Amid the obvious
political simmer, and reported
> Œprospect of hot summer¹ coupled with
many recent Œcivilian¹ killings, we as
> a civil society organisation
feel duty-bound to remind the state as well as
> non-state actors of
their moral/legal/religious obligations towards
> people.

We would like to remind the State of India and the leadership of

United Jehad Council in the context of continuing armed conflict,
about
> their responsibilities in protecting civilian lives, property
and civil
> rights.

We call upon all the combatants whether state or non-state to abide

by the following minimum and basic principles derived from
International
> Humanitarian Law and other universally accepted
principles:

  During
> operations combatants must not target civilian objects,
civilians and those
> not directly participating in armed hostilities.[1]

  During military
> operations, constant care must be taken to spare
civilian population,
> civilians and civilian objects.[2]

  In order to avoid civilian casualties,
> military installations in
and around population centers must not be created.
> Attacks against
such military objectives which are expected to cause
> disproportionate
civilian casualties and damage must not be
> launched.[3]

  During and after the combat operations wounded and sick must
> be
collected and cared for.[4]

  Civilians must not be taken hostage for
> any reason or/and in any
circumstances.[5]

  During operations when enemy
> fighters are taken prisoners, they
must be treated humanely; they must not
> be tortured, killed or
disappeared in custody.[6]

  The dead must be
> respected and their bodies not mutilated. When
mortal remains are
> unidentified, every effort must be made to
preserve evidence that could lead
> to their eventual identification.
Graves should be marked. Where the
> identity of a dead person is known
(whether friend or enemy), next of the
> kin should be promptly
informed.[7]

  Ambulances, medical personnel and
> fire fighting personnel who take
no active part in hostilities must not be
> attacked, nor obstructed
from performing their humanitarian
> duties.[8]

  Places of worship and those taking refuge in them must not be

attacked in any circumstances.[9]

  Minorities, women, children, older
> people and disabled should
always be respected and no attempts should be
> made to infringe upon
their rights, dignity and safety.[10]

  Vehicles and
> buildings bearing emblems of the Red Cross and the Red
Crescent should be
> respected. These emblems must not be used to
deceive enemy during
> hostilities. [11]

[1] See article 3 common to the four Geneva Conventions of
> 1949. See
also articles 48 and 51.2 of Additional Protocol I of 1977. See
> also
Al-Quran 2:190
[2] See article 57.1 of Additional Protocol I of
> 1977.
[3] See article 51.4, 51.5 (b) and 57.2 (a) iii of additional
protocol
> I of 1977.
[4] See article 3 common to the four Geneva Conventions of
> 1949.
[5] See articles 3 common to the four Geneva Conventions of 1949.
[6]
> See article 3 common to the four Geneva Conventions of 1949. See
Also
> article 13 and 17 of Geneva Convention III of 1949. Also see Al-
Quran
> 76:8
[7] See article 17 of Geneva Convention I of 1949 and article 34 of

Additional Protocol I.
[8] See articles 12-18 of Additional Protocol I of
> 1977.
[9]See  Hadith,
[10] See Hadith (Muslim Book 019, Number 4320)
[11] See
> articles 37, 38 and 85.3 (f) of Additional Protocol I of 1977.

Shuddhabrata
> Sengupta
The Sarai Programme at
shuddha at sarai.net