[Reader-list] Am I A Maoist?

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Wed May 5 21:49:08 IST 2010

The question of -Identity- seems to be re-appearing head again in this
discourse isn't it?

Gladson asks:  Am I A Maoist?
Arundhati in a TV debate asks pointedly to Rajdeep- Who is a Maoist?
Rajdeep replies-  ( I am sorry, but I couldn't stop laughing, poor Rajdeep
tried to give a definition of -identity- of a maoist on live prime time
television and this is what he came up with) ....when they kill people, when
they kill children...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNvcJ3amlu8

What sort an answer is that?

On the one hand Nilekani, who is working closely with RGI which comes under
Home Ministry which is run by Chidambaram, is doing this UID/Aadhar thing
which is being done as an exercise, in distinctly identifying poor people so
as to bring resources directly to them....which I personally believe is a
nice thought....

On the other hand Chidambaram is sending army and what not to 'wipe off' the
poorest of poor in India...which I do not understand at all...

If you want to identify someone to help them why would you want to kill
them...

Do you want to identify them and kill them? or Do you not want to identify
them but just kill them? or Do you want to identify them but not kill them?
or Do you not want to identify them and not kill them?

In either case the original plea for establishing UID seems to be gone.
Identify Poor- to- help them.

I am really sorry Jeebesh, I have used the word -poor- on too many occasions
in this mail. I realize you have a chronic allergy when people use it
without understanding its complex history. Personally in my rather ill
formed opinion,  the word -poor- is as fuzzy as the word -identity- but I
have used it and will continue to use it as an allusion to GOI terminology,
especially, primary documents related to a set of premises which paved the
way for UID.