[Reader-list] TIME FOR TOUGH STAND

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Wed May 5 22:30:44 IST 2010

it is really to comfortable for one to sit back and watch a few news
channels, read a few headlines and call for a death sentence of a 22 year
old Pakistani who was found guilty of waging war against india by 160-odd
persons. initially he was labelled as a fidayeen -- a form of suicide
bombings practiced in kashmir. incidentally, the 22 year old youth was
caught alive on camera while killing every single person, who he thought was
an indian. later, like a maneater from the corbett tales, he was caught
alive in flesh and blood. now as he was found guilty, a news channel
announced that state spent Rs 2 lakhs for everyday as a upkeep of this man
called ajmal kasab in the prison. it is clear that the indian state doesnt
want this man alive nor does any of the victim's families. vengeance is very
much in the air these days. however, vengeance, even in case of personal
cases is considered a legible device to justify an action in the court of
law. perhaps bipin hasnt heard of the term called jurisprudence.
Like other cases of retributive justice as opposed to reformative justice, a
death sentence has never ever being able to make examples for the society.
if by fear of being caught, one doesnt commit a crime, then one needs to
just wait for the persisting conditions of the fear to be removed and
immediately few killings would take place. therefore, by suggesting death
sentence you are not curing the society, be it at your home or otherwise,
you are throwing the society into deep abyss of neo-barbarism, where
civility is replaced by fear of an authority. such forms of justice could
only exist in the societies which have not evolved. and even in these
societies where punishments for crimes are severe, annually a large of
persons are executed, their hands chopped off. the executions have infact
increased over the times in such societies.