[Reader-list] RAB seizes 10,000 fake NIDs

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Fri May 7 00:58:36 IST 2010

Dear All,

This is worrying news for all of us Indians. If people can do this in
Bangladesh then can they not do it in India, when, I presume, and many
on this list would not hesitate in agreeing with me, that it is
generally perceived that we in India have far much more sophisticated
systems of copying than any other country in the sub-continent.

If we can copy MS software, if we can copy all those so called
copyrighted books, if we can copy ration cards and voter ID cards and
what not and if we celebrate these so called 'pirate' copy cultures
with much ado as an example of shining vibrant democracy then, how
long would it be before some people start copying NID's or UID's or
these Aaadhar numbers. Is it really worth the while to invest 1,50,000
crore rupees of public money on this exercise?

We the people of India were told that some of us, who are poor need
the help of government and for that all of us have to give our most
intrinsic part of our individual identities our retina and
fingerprints. We agreed. But then the GOI has started this exercise
which many people believe is akin to a genocidal  exercise in
'eliminating' the poorest of the poor in India. I do not understand
why then do we need this Aadhar? I do not understand then who do we
need this Aadhar for? I do not understand whether foundational logic
of UID has any meaning?

I appeal to all the well meaning people on this list to please
actively think, debate and critically analyze and reflect on the
foundational logic of Aadhar? Does Nilekani and his team have any
moral standing to continue in office?

Is this not a straight transfer of public funds to private coffers?
Are people of India not taken on a ride with this national ID number
business?

Warm regards

Taha

http://www.bdnews24.com/details.php?id=160406&cid=2

RAB seizes 10,000 fake NIDs

Dhaka, May 6 (bdnews24.com) – RAB have seized large numbers of fake
NID cards and unregistered SIM cards from a market in the capital and
have arrested three people.

A team of Rapid Action Battalion-3 raided two shops in Sundarban
market, located at Gulistan on Wednesday night and recovered about
10,000 fake national identity cards, 2,310 SIM cards belonging to
different mobile operators, assistant director MD Rajib Al Masud told
bdnews24.com.

The elite force also seized 12,000 photographs collected for the use
in the SIM cards.

The arrested are Nur Mohammad Khan, Nazrul Islam Mridha and Mahmudul
Hasan Mridha.

Masud claimed that the gang had been involved with registering SIM
cards and fake ID cards and photographs for a long time.

He said they had come to know about the scam whilst calling up the
numbers they obtained when investigating crimes.

They could not find any similarity between the users of the phones on
the one hand and the identities given in the registration papers on
the other – a matter which has caused the police great problems to
their investigations, the official said.

Legal action will be taken against the arrested people, he added.