[Reader-list] KASAV VERDICT

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Sat May 8 19:37:51 IST 2010

Dear Bipin

We are talking in circles now. I will try to make this my last post on this thread and you are most welcome to have the final say.

1. To answer the easier question. Yes, in my opinion, the countries including India, USA, China, Pakistan and whosoever else, even if they total to 99% of the World Population are BARBARIC in having the 'death penalty' as punishment for any crime whatsoever.

    I hope you understand that I am not calling these countries 'barbaric' in their sum-total, but 'barbaric' with regards to death-penalty.

2. Yes our (Indian) Constitution permits the 'death penalty' and from my point of view that needs to be changed. And, because I want to see that changed therefore my argument is not irrelevant but it is a mirror for showing the barbarism of death-penalty existing in the Constitution and the blood-lust of those who are scream for anyone at all to be done to death for any crime whatsoever.

3. My (and presumably other 'people like me') opposing the 'death penalty' is not meant for saving one person but for saving every person who might be awarded the death sentence whether that person has killed 1 or a hundred or thousands.

4. I tried to explain to you in the last mail why the delay in execution of Afzal Guru is not 'minority appeasement' but I seem to have been unsuccessful.

   There are reportedly 29 'mercy petitions' like that of Afzal Guru lying pending with the President of India.

   Afzal Guru was sentenced to death in 2004.

   Let me now give you some names of those who were awarded the death sentence before Afzal Guru and you might realise that there is no 'minority appeasement' in play.

  Look at these names: Murugan; G. Perarivalan; Chinna Shanthan;  Davinder Singh Bhullar ;  Simon; Gnanprakasham; Meesekar Madaiah; Bilvendran; Gurdev Singh; Satnam Singh; Para Singh; Sarabjit Singh; Praveen Kumar

   There is a rule followed that each one will await its turn for being accepted or being rejected. THIS IS IMPORTANT. You have said that "Legal experts clearly says there is no such law to go with queue for death sentence matter." Will you please tell me which "Legal Experts" But, isnt it logical that it should be turn by turn.

   Your main argument for fast-tracking the execution of Afzal Guru is "One must separate terrorists conviction with other conviction. Due to our this terror soft approach, we are unable to fight terror to the extent what actually we should do."

   You are conveying that putting Afzal Guru to death speedily will deter other terrorists from attacking India.

   In this I disagree with you and let me tell you why. Bipin there is no evidence at all from any part of the World that executing the 'death sentence' for any kind of a crime leads to decrease in the incidence of that particular crime. If you have any such evidence please do share it. You can take the examples of the very countries you mentioned USA, China, Pakistan and you can add to that all other countries where the 'death penalty' is awarded and executed.

As I said earlier, you can have the final say.

Kshmendra