[Reader-list] Price of documenting Individual identity in India-100 rupees

Kshmendra Kaul kshmendra2005 at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 18:46:52 IST 2010

Dear Taha

It has been fascinating to see the work you have been doing on the UID. I make it a point to read every post of yours (direct, connected or reflective) on this issue. Been educative.

Aspects you have brought out time and again:

1. FINANCIALS of UID
    I am not commenting on that.

2. CREDIBILITY of exercise that would establish the UID and the ABUSE in doing so and thereafter.
    I am not commenting on that.

3. UID intruding into PRIVACY
    I am not commenting on that

4. UID and the philosophicals of IDENTITY

    Is it possible to set aside for a moment the idea of IDENTITY in the nebulousness of it's totality?

    If that can be done then can we think of some aspects which form some sort of (allow me to call it) IDENTITY of SOCIAL CONTRACTS or SOCIETAL IDENTITY or OPERATIONAL IDENTITY?

    This certainly could not be considered to be the totality of the nebulousness of IDENTITY. This narrow and limited recognition of Identity could be said to be represented in the UID. It lends itself to being digitised because the information it contains is Names, Locations, Descriptions, Numbers, the "0" and "1" of a 'Yes' or a 'No'.

   It is the 'Operational Identity' the 'Societal Identity' and the 'Identity of Social Contracts'.

   This narrow and limited recognition of Identity also is not frozen in time. Any or all of its components could change with time and such changes be incorporated in the digitised UID.

What I am attempting to do is to segregate some aspects of Identity from the "Totality of Identity" by putting them in the proper perspective where they do not presume to be the Totality of the Nebulousness of Identity.

Neither is this narrow and limited recognition of Identity (UID) frozen in itself nor can it force-freeze the Totality of Identity.

Excuse the ramblingness of my thoughts. If they are silly and uninformed please ignore them.

You know the limitedness of my intellectual capabilities so I might not be able to meaningfully engage with any feedback from you but I would love to be corrected/guided in my thinking.

Take care

Kshmendra