[Reader-list] UID CARD BENEFIT

Shashidhar shashidhar at butterfliesindia.org
Wed May 12 12:53:30 IST 2010

Dear Taha,

If you look at the reference material on the net UID project was sanctioned
some 200 odd crores last year, and they have been promised some 1900 crores
this year, I do not where the 1.5 lakh crore figure comes from.  I do not
think people have greatly different notions about identity you ask any one
for his identity he will start by giving you his name, age, education, place
of origin, family tree, lineage, linguistic abilities, hobbies, may be some
caste and daba kuchla stuff.

The uid is the reference point for services, it gives a point of reference
for Indian citizen, there already are so many uid's in place, ration cards,
passports, DL, Now defunct SSI, Persons of Indian origin.  One of the
charters of the UID project is a diagnosis of all such existing measures and
there have been a lot of consultations.

Tell you brother it is always better to be doing something than not doing
anything and keep on deliberating. Or may be we are missing the point of
your discussion completely.

Shashidhar