[Reader-list] Alleged Maoist Atrocities

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Wed May 19 15:11:50 IST 2010

Dear Partha and others,

I have a problem with comparisons being drawn between Mumbai incident of
26/11 and Dantewada, as Partha has written in this exchange: "The sad part
is, force is required at times - such as the Mumbai incident where the
forces overcame the terrorists. It isn't a perfect world." . The problems
are technical, and therefore debatable. 26/11 was a case of sabotage, at
least this is what it looks like. In Dantewada, forces entered naxal
occupied territory without any preparedness or intelligence back up.

To quote slain Assistant Commandant, Bajrang Meena's brother, Badri after
his brother perished in the first Dantewada attacks: “Yeh to dhokha hai
(this is treachery). He was not fighting an external enemy but his own
countrymen who killed him. How can his death be justified?”

Guess what Sumer Singh Yadav, a former CRPF and brother of Satyapal Singh
Yadav, Deputy Commandant and Meena's boss who also died in these attacks had
to say? To quote him:

"In this area [Jhunjhunu district of Rajasthan], most families send one
member to the forces. But if our sons, fathers and brothers have to die
fighting Naxals in poor conditions, we will stop sending our people. The
government dithers on policy, saying this one day and something else the
next. And the CRPF means a hard life... how can the government not know
about an ambush planned by more than a thousand Naxals? How?”

I can understand that I am not quoting someone from MHA on this but
relatives of the slain personnel because they are at the ultimate receiving
end in this conflict just like someone from the indigenous tribes, whose
brother or father was killed during the same encounter. This end is
important because the memories would stay here permanently embedded as
opposed to the collective memory, which is likely to forget it soon.

For further reading:
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/yeh-dhokha-hai...-countrymen-killed-my-brother/601697/0

As a lay person, if state's (an institution that collects taxes from me and
you) reaction to naxalism is by creating Salwa Judum or something similar to
that, isnt it just perpetuation of violence and wastage of the state
revenue? Even more strange is when a very senior minister says that
organizations that sympathizes the naxals and criticising the state, are not
offering alternatives, it speaks volumes about the kind of responsibility
that government has over its own sovereignty. Is it not true that both union
and respective state governments of the states affected by maoists, who now
want to come down harshly on the sympathisers of maoists, were never
interested in working these areas till things got out of hand? Is India's
grievance redressal system so weak that every time dissent happens it has to
be suppressed with force? So whose responsibility is it to find the
alternatives? NGOs, Maoist sympathisers or government or now, as it seems,
corporates?

I question this from my previous experience of smaller theaters of
radicalism and dissent, where such counter insurgency forces were created by
the state. For example, in Assam, to counter the threat of ULFA, a quasi
outfit consisting of some willing surrendered militants were formed.
Although, this quasi outfit has very few members now as realization dawned
upon these former rebels not fall for the trappings of the political
parties, between 1995 to 2005, these people wreaked havoc through extortions
and killings, which have very well documented by local news papers and NGOs
working there. Unfortunately, very little we know about these smaller
theaters, thanks to the neglect that north eastern states have faced over
the years. For MHA, these instances could have served as learnings. But as I
have pointed out, leaving aside a few, most of people with the state are
self centred individuals who are either representing a business interest or
are securing these areas to further their political agenda.

As a journalist, I would say if Maoists are seen as a force promoting their
agenda through propaganda and violence, then government is no less
different. Today Maoists have lost the moral support of the people, which is
why they are now attacking policemen and moving into newer territories but
unlike thieves or dacoits who have immediate aims (someone in this list had
earlier compared naxals with chambal's dacoits)  the so-called
revolutionaries thrive on the failures or misunderstandings of the state and
its channels.

I personally feel that there should be no human lives lost in an ideological
conflict. If it has started happening, that mean both the sides are shifting
from their objectives and getting into a war. on one side  peoples' war for
whatever reason, the other considers it to be anti national.

Thanks Anupam