[Reader-list] On a sublime form of propaganda: 'UIDAI is just the back-end'

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Sat May 22 13:30:58 IST 2010

Dear All,

After attending a cabinet committee meeting on UIDAI alias Aadhar
alias MNIC,  Nilekani spoke to the press. In this respect, I wish to
draw your attention to the following statement given by Mr. Nilekani
about UIDAI.

“We are just a number issuing and data collecting authority…UIDAI is
just the back-end,” said Mr. Nilekani.

http://beta.thehindu.com/news/national/article433961.ece

I find the portrayal of UID by its boss Mr. Nilekani, as a 'number
issuing authority' very very interesting. My interest was drawn to a
particular word -JUST-

1,50,000 Crores are riding behind this word -just-. 1,50,000 crores of
public money which is going to be transferred in the name of creating
an archive of hearsay's.

My respect for Mr. Nilekani has grown manifold now, because he seems
to be using very sophisticated propaganda models to complete his brief
i.e. to transfer 1,50,000 crores of public money, in the name of a
faulty exercise, to a failed industry, in the name of a technological
ideal.

Consider this: In cognitive propaganda models filtering is used
extensively. Now 'filtering' is over-focusing on one aspect of
something to the exclusion of everything else. Filtering is part of
Cognitive Propaganda. Cognitive Propoganda uses language to induce
cognitive distortions which is then used to justify an action.

Like 'underprivileged' of India are suffering we only need to get
their identity and everything would be alright or statements like
that.

Every time Mr. Nilekani comes to face the news camera or talks to
press reporters. These days he does it every day it seems. He will
focus on 'number issuing authority' aspect of UID in a very carefully
crafted manner. What about Natgrid Sir? What about total costs of the
project, SIr?

 He will not answer any question related to the total cost of project.
I mean. Man! does he wants us to believe that this is how he has run
his business all these years, without having an idea of the cost of
investment, or returns on investment or without having an idea of how
he will be spending in the course of say next five years?

Why does anyone not talk about this loot of public money in the name
of underprivileged of India?

Reminds me of a conversation I have had with a friend once. He was
telling me about the atom bomb. When atom bomb was made, US gov, hired
some linguists and propagandists i.e. communication experts to sell
the idea of bomb to the US public. They had to sell to the general
public, that it is morally okay for US army to slaughter a huge number
of innocent people who had nothing to do with the war.

Linguists zeored in on one word. -ONLY- . The propaganda machine
worked like mad to sell this idea. Only a couple of thousands will be
affected. Only few hundred thousands will have to pay the immediate
price and so on to create an impression that 'only' a 'few' people
will be affected.

ONLY is a deeply ambiguous word which means a variety of things but
while used an adjective it means, being the single one or the
relatively few of the kind.

ONLY shares a close association with JUST which is also a deeply
ambiguous word and when used as an adverb means, only or merely.

I wonder if, Mr. Nilekani is deliberately resorting to the use of
these words to create some sort  carefully calibrated cognitive
dissonance, which first justifies the use of UID as an aid to the poor
while distorting UID's potential as an agency which could deeply harm
the privacy of individuals and at the same time takes attention off,
of an open loot of the public money, this naked subsidizing to revive
a failed sector, to revive the myth of India as IT Superpower?

Warm regards

Taha