[Reader-list] Participate in a Survey for Films on Female Adolescents and Young Adults

Chandni Parekh chandni_parekh at yahoo.com
Sun May 23 16:29:53 IST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sachi Maniar <sachimaniar at gmail.com>
Date: 21 May 2010
Subject: Survey for films on Girls :)

Dear Chandni,
Over the past few months we have had the privilege of
observing an incredible program, Goal, a Standard Chartered initiative that
aims to empower girls with life skills through sports. It has been fascinating
to watch these young girls that come from difficult socio-economic situations,
slowly gain a new awareness of things they will never learn in school. As we
watch them light up with a new understanding of their bodies, refined sense of
self, and test out their communication and listening skills, we have been
inspired to think about our own lives, and just how important it is for us to
stay in touch with these topics throughout our lifespan.
As media professionals, we can see that we hold in our hands
the power to make something socially and culturally relevant that can be useful
for teenage girls across India.
Our experiences have shown us that the time from when a young girl enters
pubescence to the time when she gets married can often be a very short but also
critical period.
And so we put forward the following question to you:
 What are the ten most important things YOU
think a young girl should know that will help her to lead a healthy and
thoughtful life as an adult?
Think of the Indian context, think of yourself (what did you
not know but wish you had), think of your daughters, relatives, friends. If you
want, think about the things a girl should know about before she gets married
and leaves the comfort and autonomy of being a child in her parents’
home. We are asking for your help so we too can start to think about how we can
take our survey even further. From there, we hope to come to a better
understanding of how we could make simple but fun informational films that
could be accessed by girls across the country. Step two is to reach out to
young girls and see what questions they come up with, but we thought that we
would start small first.
While no film will ever substitute for a good role model,
our hope is that a series of short films could help launch further discussions
and/or help girls access more information.
Thank you for listening. We hope that together this is the
start of a very interesting and important collaboration.
With love,
Sachi and Aparna
www.globalrickshaw.com
PS:
Please forward this to people who you think are in a the same field or
will be able to contribute to this survey. thanks :)