[Reader-list] UID Card Doubts

Taha Mehmood 2tahamehmood at googlemail.com
Mon May 24 14:55:33 IST 2010

Dear Bipin,

Thank you for your response.

At this moment I would not like to comment on your reading of my views
regarding BJP. We are going to have our points of difference and
inshallah we will debate about it at an appropriate time.

At this moment let’s focus on UID. A survey of your views brings out
following two core arguments:

Argument number one:

Technology is good.

UID involves technology.

Therefore UID is good.

Argument number two:

Helping underprivileged is good.

Government of India is using a technology to help underprivileged of India.

Therefore Government of India is good.

Let us leave the GOI out of this, for the time being and let us focus, on UID.

I assume:

A good is something which consistently does what it claims to do.
Therefore a batsman who consistently gets out at zero will not be a
good batsman in opinion, wouldn't you agree with me?

Taking this as my assumption and I may be wrong in assuming this, and
I would like to be corrected, if I am wrong. I have following
questions:

How can a technology, be marshaled to document the individual identity
of persons who do not have any documents to prove who they are? They
have other people who can -speak- on their behalf, that's for sure,
but do everybody in India knows and remembers when they were born?
Would it not create an archive of hearsays' ? Would it not be
imperfect? Is it not that the state of documentation of individual
identities in India is hotch-potch and fuzzy.  It's like being
enthusiastic about building a dam in the middle of a desert isn't it.
Bhai we don't have water. What are we going to do with this
technology?  I do not understand why must we invest so much money on
this technology?

Warm regards

Taha