[Reader-list] Seeking a videographer for an oral histories project

Chandni Parekh chandni_parekh at yahoo.com
Tue May 25 11:46:34 IST 2010

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Arvind

Hey Chandni,

A friend of mine is doing this project on impact of partition of Sindhi
community, and is looking for videographers / filmmakers who can help
her on the project. Can you suggest someone who can help out - and
forward her email to those who can help?

Arvind

-- Forwarded from Natasha Raheja <natasharaheja at gmail.com> --
Hi my name is Natasha Raheja and I'll be finishing up my MA in South
Asian Studies at the University of Texas at Austin this summer.  From
August 2010 to August 2011, I'll be traveling across North India and
Pakistan to document audio-visually the life narratives of Sindhi
elders who remember the 1947 Partition.

I am writing to see if you or any videographers/filmmakers with whom
you are acquainted would be interested in potentially participating in
this endeavor with me and would like to shoot and help edit the
interviews and any other relevant footage.
I'm really passionate about this project and am looking for someone who
while skilled and creatively inclined is also intellectually aligned
with my
vision to situate these life narratives within a wider discourse of
inter-community dialogue.

My objectives are twofold:

1) create a public access virtual archive of the video and audio interviews

2) develop a media teaching tool for Sindhi diasporic Hindu and Muslim
youth to look back to the past in order to move forward, together. This
project has larger implications for the strained relations amongst
Hindus and Muslims and other divided groups at large in the Indian subcontinent and the South
Asian diaspora.

Bringing together both religious communities and working through
prejudice is part of my larger vision. For now, just collecting
interviews like crazy is the point since those that have
significant memories of Partition are quickly passing away.

Please email me if you are interested and/or want more detailed information.  I look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,
Natasha
natasharaheja at gmail.com