[Reader-list] Extreme Heat in Gujarat - But No Load shedding

Pawan Durani pawan.durani at gmail.com
Tue May 25 22:31:36 IST 2010

Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi has in his latest blog post
welcomed India’s legendary super star Amitabh Bachchan to Gujarat to
promote Tourism. Modi praised Bachchan for his determination to
fulfill his commitment to promote Gujarat’s tourism against all
accusations.

Modi writes: “Amitabhji is coming to Gujarat to promote Tourism in
Gujarat and I welcome him. Gujarat is excited by his visit and a grand
reception awaits him. But I want to express my inner feelings. There
were plenty of innuendos and accusations when he became the brand
ambassador of Gujarat tourism. Anybody in his place would have been
shaken and backed out. Even his fans were worried whether he can
withstand such onslaught. But Amitabhji stood tall not only due to his
physical height but also due to his determination in fulfilling his
commitment. For the sake of Gujarat and India Amitabhji kept his words
and this sort of commitment has set highest standard in professional
ethics and has become a shining example for other professionals.”

Modi further states: ” In this extreme heat wave conditions, when
nobody from outside can even think of visiting Kutch even if paid,
Amitabhji will spend three days in the white Rann of Kutch to promote
tourism without charging a single penny. His altruism speaks about his
love for Gujarat and India.”

On Air-India plane crash

Modi in his blog writes that he worked as a volunteer when aa plane
crashed in Ahmedabad many years ago. In connection with recent
Mangalore crash, Modi says, ” The recent Air-India Express plane crash
at hilly Mangalore airport was heart-rending to say the least. As last
reports came in 158 lives had been irretrievably lost. This is a
grievous loss of lives for the victims’ families and the country. The
tragedy reminds me of a similar painful mishap when an airliner
crashed in Ahmedabad many years ago. At that time I worked as a
volunteer helping the affected. The Mangalore crash brought painful
scenes of crash to my mind. I pray that such gory tragedies don’t
occur and result in loss of precious human lives and trauma to the
survivors and their families.”

On extreme heat condition in Gujarat

Modi blogs that unlike other states, Gujarat is free from power cuts
and load shedding in this unthinkable temperature. He writes, “Excess
heat is dogging Gujarat even as the State sizzles under temperature
soaring to unthinkable 48.5 degrees Celsius, one of the highest this
century. We are experiencing the effects of Global Warming. People are
suffering and particularly the poor. Fortunately, unlike other States,
Gujarat is free from power cuts and load shedding and one can access
fans to cool themselves and get some relief. Mercifully, the forecast
for normal monsoon give us hope and I wish our farmers do really
benefit.

On cotton export ban

Modi addresses an important recent rural Gujarat related issue in his
blog post. He says, “Due to ban on cotton export by Central government
for unknown reasons, the farmers of Gujarat suffered heavy loss of
about Rs 2000 crores in a span of one month. Though the central
government rectified its decision and allowed export with licence
subsequently, the delay had already caused enough damage to Gujarat’s
farmers.”

Modi’s complete blog post can be visited on this link:http://NarendraModi.Com