[Reader-list] Congress Led Secular Govt seeks Facebook Ban

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Wed May 26 13:43:09 IST 2010

Dear All,

I hope that the Maharashtra government does not stoop to the level of
imbecility displayed recently by the Government of Pakistan on the
'Ban Facebook' issue. If it does, it will be a really sad day for the
freedom of expression in India. The groups claiming to speak on
behalf of Christians and Muslims in Maharashtra are the worst enemies
of the advancement of a climate of freedom and openness for Muslims
and Christians. If they prevail, it will ultimately be Muslims and
Christians in Maharashtra who will be the greatest losers. They, like
their Hindu counterparts (those who oppose art exhibitions in the
name of Hindu tradition) need to be combatted militantly by all those
who seek to keep our societies open.

best

Shuddha