[Reader-list] On my view of Nandan Nilekani

Bipin Trivedi aliens at dataone.in
Thu May 27 10:59:48 IST 2010

Dear Taha,

So much deep search work of Mr. Nilkeni carried out. Appreciate it. Yes, you
are right he has achieved so much in life financially with higher status.
So, your main argument is that the man who can earn handsome money daily how
can leave that overnight and probably joined this government offer where
government must have offered handsome money. You mention often Rs. 1,50,000
crore spending of UID project, so your first doubt seems to be that handsome
money out of this will go to his pocket. When a man achieved such status at
near to retirement age and arrived at threshold level will definitely think
to do something different other than the mere earning activity for his own
satisfaction. I know so many such people doing social welfare for their
mental satisfaction after earning sufficient money. Sam Pitroda can earn
handsome staying at US, but he choose to come to India when called why? Just
to accept challenges keeping risk factor of succeeding or failure both in
mind for mental satisfaction and to do something for mother country.

His job is mainly to develop a number system which can sustain for
sufficiently long time about 40/50 years keeping population increment in
mind during this span and also to develop system to store large database for
the same. Data collection will be done by the government official and same
will be provided to them and thereafter his work will start from data
feeding, fingerprint process and all IT related work. So, his part is
restricted to IT related work as per my assessment after ready data will be
provided. So, he probably could not able to give estimate since he is
responsible for part of the project and he could not have idea about the
data collection spending which will be done by government official and
departments. That is why his statement, "We are just a number issuing and
data collecting authority.UIDAI is just the back-end," said Mr. Nilekani.
This statement indicates about his restricted role of this whole project and
I also thought the same thing which confirmed with this statement.

I wonder how this figure of Rs. 1,50,000 crore spending for whole project
came from. No official figure came up yet and Nilkeni also did not said
anything about it. Few media has published the same and you know media is
exaggerating the news for their publicity to increase readership. My
assessment is much less than this expense. Off course cannot specify any
figure yet but sure of not as mentioned above figure.

I surprised with your statement that IT sector failed to prove its mettle in
global trade. Please remember that IT sector today earning maximum revenue
and top in export. Indian It graduates are in maximum demand. No doubt, it
has slow down little bit today due to global crisis, but I am sure it will
have little impact and will do better again. Since crisis are not for ever
and cycle will turn again.

Thanks
Bipin