[Reader-list] Statement by Arundhati Roy on the Attack on her Residence

Rajkamal Goswami rajkamalgoswami at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 02:50:41 IST 2010

Dear All,

While I completely condemn the attacks, I wish to bring to your notice
a response that I wrote in reply to Swapan Dasgupta's article titled
"Deny Arundhati claim to fame" published in Sunday Pioneer, October
24, 2010. The link to it is below. I am putting it here now because it
seems all the more relevant in the aftermath of the attack. Most
comments to that article was mostly irrelevant and personal abuse at
Ms Roy. Needlessly I was deeply saddened and was forced to write it.

Nirguna said...
"..........However, it is also a fact that the organisers were banking
on spirited protests against Geelani to elevate a vicious message into
a debate over free speech and democracy. The ease with which some TV
channels fell into the trap was indicative of the larger gullibility
of India's liberal establishment......."

Dear Mr. Dasgupta,
Hats off to you. Never once in your article you have tread beyond the
issue and your opinion about it, which can be summarized in a nutshell
in the two sentences from your article that I have quoted above.
Your article vindicates me of the feeling of pity for those, who
resort to taking personal jibes and potshots at her at every other
opportunity (like a few readers in this forum and Ram Guha to cite an
illustrious example). I find that in extremely poor taste. It’s not
fair to extrapolate your disagreement to the guarded realm of personal
attacks.
People reacting at her with great spite (mostly without even caring to
read or listen to what she has actually said and in what context,
Arnab Goswami-one good example), is becoming boring day after day.

I admire Ms Roy because there is less pretension and more consistency
in what she writes and has been writing about. Her politics is clear.
And most times even her most extreme rhetorics are deeply rooted in
facts. And that she talks for a bunch of people about whom most
mainstream celebrities/journalist donot talk about, is another thing
that I admire. Her only fault is that she uses the language of the
scum bags of our society, to undermine them. That media choses to
carry her front page ( I was surprised to see a Hindu front page top
story on her over the sedition charges) is not her fault. As you
rightly said in your article, we are the ones who steer her into the
throes of public domain, mostly through mindless personal attacks at
her. We are the ones who deserve the blame, not her.
October 31, 2010 2:41 AM

the link to the comment:
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=3772668051228901931&postID=3675878958679405298

Article link: http://www.swapan55.com/2010/10/deny-arundhati-claim-to-fame.html