[Reader-list] Statement by Arundhati Roy on the Attack on her Residence

SJabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 10:56:23 IST 2010

Rashneek, I'm surprised by your trying to pass off an act of hooliganism as
a peaceful demonstration.  Do you not see a fight taken to someone's
doorstep as an attack?  Arundhati is NOT a politician with x or y or z
category security.  Once you legitimize intimidation as the right of people
or political parties to demonstrate you end up with the beginnings of a
fascist state.

Today it is Arundhati, tomorrow it can be you or me. Remember the so-called
sex-scandal in Kashmir a few years ago?  Mobs went and tore down the home of
the alleged madam of the prostitution ring.  It may sound like a bizarre
comparison but its not.  There you had a bunch of self-righteous people who
did not wait for the trial of this woman but were convinced that her very
presence in society contaminated it.  So she had to be locked up and her
home (which was a shack in a poor neighborhood) was to be razed to the
ground so that not a trace remained of her.  The impulse of your so-called
demonstrators is hardly different.  Arundhati Roy is a disease that must be
removed, so let us try and put her behind bars and if we can't let us
intimidate her by threatening her life and property.

 If the BJP wanted to counter her views they could have done so at public
forums.  Arundhati is not leading mobs to LK Advani's house.  She speaks in
public forums where everyone, including Panun Kashmir, have a right to
attend and to voice their objections if need be.  But to land up at
someone's door with a hundred strong mob shouting abuse does not, by any
stretch of the imagination fall within the limits of engaged debate in any
civilized society.

The Hindu report has Pradip Kishen, her husband, saying "the mob was abusive
and broke through the front gate of the house.² This would fall under
unlawful entry and other laws in the IPC.  They were clearly trying to
intimidate, if not bodily harm her as is clear from what Pradip says next:
'They were prevented from entering the house by the guard and servants.'
Why do they need to do this if this was a peaceful demonstration?

On 01/11/10 9:25 AM, "rashneek kher" <rashneek at gmail.com> wrote:

> But was there an attack?Is demonstrating outside her house the same
> as
attacking her.The Hindu reported that a mob attacked her and broke
> one
flower pot.
If Maoists are Gandhians with Guns and Geelani's demand and
> methods are
legitimate how does one construe a hundred odd women
> demonstrating(mind you
not throwing stones)...
If this was an attack how does
> one describe burning of my house by the
azaadi seekers...
In the hall itself
> where Shuddha was on the podium a boy's shirt was torn
and he was mandhandled
> by the same people who want right of free
speech,simply because he disagreed
> and maybe shouted too.Is that attack or
isnt that an attack?

On Mon, Nov 1,