[Reader-list] On recent discussions

Danny Butt db at dannybutt.net
Fri Nov 5 15:02:12 IST 2010

Many thanks Ana!

If I can clarify one point, I should note that my primary understanding of the logic of the attacks on Roy - which I do think approaches a universal - comes from my own experience in the English ex-colonies of Australia and New Zealand. Here we are constantly assailed in the media with the assumption of endemic oppression of women in Islamic and indigenous communities in particular; while patriarchy in European communities is routinely glossed over. Yet the same strategies are applied constantly in our supposedly-enlightened nations which like to consider themselves the measure of all others.

I'm mindful of Yasir's comment that the discussion is primarily taking place in India, with many layers of nuance which I, as someone who has merely visited, have little knowledge of. For that reason, I would like to keep this discussion close to the actual comments on the mailing list rather than raising the spectre of the Taliban (or the Catholic church) which I know little about. But I do think I have seen enough sexualised attacks on women activists on email lists to offer an analysis of what I see as a pattern, and I hope that this comment has some value for others, and of course I am also grateful for critical feedback where my comments are inappropriate.

Regards,

Danny