[Reader-list] Vendors defy Geelani’s three-day strike call

Aditya Raj Kaul kauladityaraj at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 11:03:13 IST 2010

*Vendors defy Geelani’s three-day strike call*

*Link -
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_vendors-defy-geelani-s-three-day-strike-call_1463616

DNA*

Hundreds of roadside vendors on Sunday defied hardline Hurriyat Conference
leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani’s announcement to observe a civilian curfew.

Geelani announced the three-day civilian curfew coinciding with Barack
Obama’s visit but the vendors decided to defy the diktat and put out their
merchandise for sale at Srinagar’s flea market.

“We have seen enough of strikes and curfews in the past four months and we
want to feed our families now. We cannot go on forever like this,” a vendor,
who identified himself only as Khalid, said.

Khalid said he wanted resolution the Kashmir issue but not by forcing his
family to starvation. “There has to be a strategy... any movement that
forces the poor into further poverty cannot sustain for too long,” he said.

The sentiments were echoed by many of Khalid’s fellow traders at the Sunday
market, but would not speak on record for fear of reprisal from separatist
elements.