[Reader-list] Kashmir’s Fruits of Discord (or a discordant arundhati roy?)

anupam chakravartty c.anupam at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 11:43:05 IST 2010

Samvit,

I frankly do not care what Arundhati Roy has to say about the Bodo cause or
kashmir. She is not a government functionary or party to the conflict in
Assam or where ever. However, her participation is a problem for several
people on this list including you because she could have been the mascot of
the "shining" India but instead she is seen siding with dissident forces. It
is not a problem for me.

I am questioning you Samvit for raking up an issue which could have been
addressed in seperate head altogether in this forum itself. Such
conjunctions distort if not dilute the Bodo issue. And yes you have no idea
what happened exactly in Rowta, Baksa and Karbi Anglong over the last few
days. You have no idea as to why there is an anti talks faction within
National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB). You have no idea why there are
designated camps for the extremists in the jungles of Arunachal. Your
sentiments for your fellow indians who have been killed in this incident is
evidently very plastic as you expect that such arguments would go a long way
in branding Roy and others.

However, let me congratulate for understanding this one basic fact that
writers are also human and need funds to write and survive. All this while,
I thought that you assumed them to be this all powerful, omniscient beings,
which is why seeing them in a gymnasium with a certain kind of clothing was
such a problem for you. Unfortunately, when it comes to the "funding" bit
about the steel or large hydro electric concerns, you and several others
quietly assume the position of that ideal "lay" person. You know it very
well when to hound people about funds and when to keep mum, so even if i
question about your ideas on Bodo issue, it is bound to be some lopsided
police-security version of this issue. How about educating you on the Bodo
issue? I dont think you deserve that kind of education in this or any other
issue, it is bound to be distorted by you and your likes.

And wait, as far as I can recall you seem to know the charitable activities
of RSS. A press note by RSS circulated among the cross section of media says
that RSS cadres laid down their lives fighting militants in north east.
Which cadres? Where? Is RSS counting innocent traders from north india
caught in the cross fire?

Anupam