[Reader-list] Invitation: 24/Oct:Kisan Swaraj Yatra @ Bangalore

Rohit Shetti rohitism at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 22:21:50 IST 2010

*** Please circulate widely ***

Dear Friends,

*Kisan Swaraj Yatra (www.kisanswaraj.in) *is a nationwide journey across 20
states to campaign and draw fresh attention on the continuing agricultural
crisis in India. It is an initiative of Alliance for Sustainable & Holistic
Agriculture (ASHA) - a network of several individuals and groups across the
country - farmers’ organizations, consumer groups, women’s organizations,
environmental organizations, organic farmers’ cooperatives, individual
scientists, doctors, health activists and others.

The Yatra – a bus journey spanning 75 days commenced on 2nd October, 2010
from Sabarmati, Gujarat and will end on 11th December, 2010* *at Rajghat,
New Delhi. Travelling through many villages, towns and cities, the Yatra
seeks to highlight the issues affecting our food, our farmers, our soil,
water & seeds and our health – and eventually mobilize people from all walks
of life to voice their support for Sustainable agricultural policies.

*KSY @ Bengaluru *

Kisan Swaraj Yatra will reach Bengaluru on 24th October, 2010 and it
presents to all of us a great opportunity to welcome the Yatris, interact
with them and most importantly show our solidarity.

·         *10-30 a.m.  at Lalbagh**:*

* *

We will welcome the Yatra at Organic Shandy – a traditional farmers’ market,
at MHS Hall, Lalbagh at 10-30 a.m. (Entry from Double road gate). The Shandy
will be an opportunity to interact with the Yatris informally and understand
their experiences. Further,  the Shandy will have on display and for sale, a
rich diversity of food grains, pulses, millets, fruits and vegetables
brought from all across the state.

(Organic Shandy is a joint initiative of Javik Krushik Society and partners,
Save Our Rice Campaign, Samvada, Sahaja Organics, Pristine Organics and
Simply Organics)

·         *2-30 p.m. at Institution of Agricultural Technologists (IAT)
Hall, Queens Road :*

The Yatra will proceed to Institution of Agricultural Technologists Hall,
Queens Road (past Indian Express Building) for a public meeting involving
the Yatris, farmer groups, experts on agriculture, and common urban
citizens.

The meeting will be led by Karnataka Rajya Raitha Sangha (KRRS) along with
other volunteers and would help us engage deeper into some of the issues and
will include

·         A discussion with experts and eminent personalities on the various
aspects of our agricultural policies

·         Understanding how an urban citizen/consumer can contribute towards
sustainable and self-reliant ecological farming

·         Solidarity and support for Kisan Swaraj Yatra

Please be present at both the venues and express your solidarity with the
farmers of India. Do circulate the information widely. Our presence in large
numbers is crucial for ensuring the success of the Yatra and in turn a
victory for our farmers in particular and the entire society at large.

Thanks and best regards,

Rohit