[Reader-list] Azadi: The Only Way ­ Report from a Turbulent Few Hours in Delhi

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sun Oct 24 19:53:11 IST 2010

Dear Sonia,

I agree with you on some points. I agree that the South Asian disease
of 'let us forget the past' is not something that I respect.

I think that those who were responsible for the secterian killings of
the 89-90 period and after in Kashmir should be held accountable for
their actions, regardless of whether they were acting on the presumed
orders of the then/now Islamist SAS Geelani or the secularist Yasin
Malik or of the state. I have no hesitation in saying this because I
hold that the same process should be applied  for those officers and
politicians who orchestrated violence and mass killings on behalf of
the Indian state in Kashmir. I have no objection at all, if Jagmohan,
N.N Vohra, senior Army, paramilitary and intelligence officers who
were in command in J&K, Farouq Abdullah, Mufti Muhammad Syed, SAS
Geelani, Syed Salahuddin and Yasin Malik were all to be summoned to
be examined by an independent non-partisan international tribunal to
account for their actions and decisions in the larger interests of
truth, justice, and possibly, a measure of reconciliation. Were a
process able to account for the guilt of all these gentlemen and
their underlings, and every prime minister and home minister of the
Republic of India, and every governor and chief minister of the state
of Jammu and Kashmir, and their counterparts in the Islamic Republic
of Pakistan, none would be more pleased than I. This could be done on
the model of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission in South Africa,
or even, if I am not mistaken on the lines of similar processes in
Northern Ireland.

You are still missing the point when you misunderstand what I am
saying when I say that I am willing to endorse SAS Geelani's apparent
'change of heart'. I am not endorsing anything, I am recognizing
something. And I am not unhappy in making that recognition. This does
not require me to 'endow SAS Geelani or anyone else with my trust or
my consent. Let us say, for arguments sake, that I am no less cynical
than you are about the intentions of a politician as polished in the
art of realpolitik as SAS Geelani (he wasnt an MLA twice over, at
least once, if I am not mistaken as part of a political formation,
supported by the worthies of the then Janata Party which would then
have included Shri L.K. Advani, for nothing).But then, my cynicism
does not stop at him. It includes Yasin Malik and Sajjad Lone and the
Mirwaiz and every single Indian politician who has tried to play in
Kashmir's troubled waters. Let us assume, as I am willing to do, that
they ALL have blood on their hands, and that at the same time that
they have ALL been the victims of the circumstances that shaped them.

My question is, what do we do next. I think that this means that the
people 'learn' to USE them, to compel them to come to a degree of
moderation in action, and a greater, more imaginative radicalism in
terms of conceptions. That is why, the current situation in Kashmir,
where the 'Leaders' are being 'Led' by people is interesting to me. I
find it POSITIVE that they have to do flip-flops so often, from
Hartal-to-No Hartal- to Hartal again. This shows that they are NOT
running the street. Things are unpredictable. The change in the
'temperature' of SAS Geelani's statements may be as much due to the
fact that he is no longer in a position to call all the shots.
Therefore, he has less to lose by 'changing' his tenor.

There is a way in which the language of politics has changed, and it
has changed because of the way in which people are communicating on
all sorts of fora. Though they may, out of affection, still say that
only Geelani will do the Tarjumani, the truth is, everyone is doing
their own Tarjumani now. and that is the hardest nut for the
Government of India to crack. As an anarchist, I find this situation,
of the actual, concrete, refusal of 'representational forms of
politics' . however ephemeral it might be at present, quite
delightful. SO much so, that a 'theatre' of leadership continues, but
actuality presumes a totally different language of politics.

I find this a fertile situation, one latent with possibilities, for
everyone.

As for your other point, about how close we all were to the
beginnings of the long road towards a solution with Musharraf's four
point formula - I agree with you. But, then, it was the Government of
India that scuttled that possibility. If the government of India had
acted then, on what was on offer, perhaps things would not have come
to the situation where they are at present. Too much has gone wrong
since then. I am not a nationalist of any sort, and to me, ALL nation
states, and all nation states in waiting,  are ultimately the actors
of the tragedies of their own making and choosing,
So, basically, I am not for the moment saying and have never said
that an independent Kashmir will be in any way a qualitative
improvement (in terms of a state form) than an occupied Kashmir, but,
It may at least lead to the withdrawal of the reality of a brutal
occupation.

For me, whatever makes that possible, I am prepared to accept. There
were, and remain many possibilities that span the spectrum from where
the situation is at present to Indpendence or accession to Pakistan.
But thinking about those possibilities require all Indians to stop
thinking only out of the Indian nationalist box. You know very well,
that many different kinds of arrangement could have been explored.
including maximum autonomy under the aegis of a joint India-Pakistan
guarantee, which is what I understand the Musharraf formula to have
been, But the bottom line is, whatever is worked out has to be
acceptable to the popular will, hence a plebiscite with many options
on offer, and the freedom to campaign for the many options in an
atomsphere free of coercion.

Realistically speaking, I do not think that the Government of India
has the imagination any longer to try and think out of the box. If it
can, that would be great. But, going by the ostrich like attitude of
the Government in the face of the obvious alienation of the Kashmiri
people, I very much doubt it. If they had that intelligence, they
could have stopped the killings by the security forces a long time ago.

Therefore, the only remaining possibility for ending the occupation
seems to me to be independence for Kashmir, in the short term, under
the custodianship of the United Nations, like happened in Kosovo.Of
course, I strongly assert that the political road to this must be
through non-violent means, through mass political participation, of
as many different sections of the population as possible. It will be
painful, for many Indians to accept, but in the long term, and in the
absence of any other imaginative solutions thought through by the
Indian political elites (that chance has come, and sadly, gone) it
will be in the best interests of the people of India. Of course, the
challenge for the people of Kashmir would be to think through a
vision of independence that does not have them switch slavery to
Indian occupation to slavery to the Pakistani militarist elite. The
challenge would be to come up with proposals for a demilitarized, non-
aggressive Kashmir that can preserve its cultural and social openness
and liberality, that can take back displaced minorities, and can
offer them genuine, not token safety and security. That is the hard
work that imaginative politics will have to undertake in Kashmir. And
we should never stop expecting and demanding that from all our
Kashmiri friends. I never, ever cease doing so.

  In the long term, this fact, an Independent Kashmir, could actually
be the cornerstone of a broad South Asian Union (modelled on the EU)
which could bring the different nationalities (there may be many by
then) of South Asia under an arrangement of a free trade zone, a visa
free zone, a customs and tarrifs union, a charter on shared
ecological concerns, and comprehensive demilitarization. An
independent Kashmir may be the first step in that direction. Of
course this need not happen. Things could get worse if Kashmir
separates. I am well aware and cognizant of that possibility. But, at
least, once the dust and din settles, in our lifetime, there is a
likelihood that once everyone has climbed off their nationalist high
horses, things might be worked out, amicably and reasonably between
all the stake holders of a future free association of South Asian
States and Territories. That, I think is the only guarantee for peace
in our region. I know for certain that an India and Pakistan that
continue to hold on to their respective fragments of Jammu and
Kashmir, and an India that enforces that occupation by military force
cannot contribute to peace in the region.

That is why, I think that freedom for Kashmir, and also, incidentally
for Tibet, is key to long term peace and stability in Asia, because
both these developments would reduce the necessity of the big poweres
of tomorrow - China and India and to a lesser extent - Pakistan from
being aggressive nuclear powered rivals, and would perhaps, perhaps,
open out the true possibility of what a worthwhile Asian Century
really ought to be like. Otherwise, I am afraid that we will replay
the disasters of the European history of the Twentieth Century, from
the First World War onwards, on the soil of Twenty First Century Asia.

I hope i have made myself clear

best,

Shuddha