[Reader-list] Geelani announced one Article of the Constitutionof Free Kashmir - its "Liquor Policy"

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 22:04:30 IST 2010

Thanks dear,
i will try to reflect

 I repeat, as you know, that there are War dances, mostly folk, using
actual weapons while dancing on a beat.
And even when there is no direct use of weapons, there is always a
sign, a historical reference to make it potent.  Even war poetry has
eulogized its heroes. There is always celebration of a loss of the
present in the future. We have cherished memories about the days when
we suffered but endured....

It is only in the modern times that we have lost that understanding of
living our respective immediate pasts. Surely, the folk dancers have
no clue or historical knowledge about the event. It is too buried in
the system and yet they need that violent past to celebrate the
present.

One of my performance at Trafalgar square in London was about the
1857. i used the bandwallas dress which has come to them via British
Military Rule in India. Then the poor indian people were employed to
play saxophones and drums etc. Now, they are gone, but the form has
stayed, so much so, that no Indian marriage is possible without their
participation. Surprisingly the caps still have rising sun on them.
That is how we are, all the arts are like that, it is only in the
contemporaneity of imagination that we use is discursively, but the
thing stays....

Now these  bandwalla  hardly glorifying the British rule, far from
that, it is rozi roti (bread ) for them, and essential fashion for the
middle and upper middle class to celebrate. Well that is it.

About the latest in Kashmir: it is very complex to reflect on what it
means for ordinary kashmiri. An average stone pelter is not a hated
figure in kashmir. You agree ?

 And as Peetha has rightly said, that stone pelting is a result of
excessive violence by police and security forces upon the unarmed
protesters . It is actually an outburst of a deeply accumulated anger
about the excessive military presence in the valley. Indian govt and
the state govt has no agency to trust but the police and security
forces to be there in there in the first place.  In that situation the
entire population is pressed against a wall which is too hard to
break. Stone pelting is not an isolated event in kashmir, it is an
symptom of a long history of mistreament.  It is about 1947 hindu
muslim divide. But Kashmiris say that since Yousuf Shah Chek, the last
Kashmiri King, they were simply ruled by one or the other.  So, they
reject the Mughal ruler Akabar the great, and also Jinnah the founder
of Pakistan. Dont they ?

I have done a performance on Palestine issue, and so have i done a
performance on Kashmir issue. I have done things on KP migrations, and
also about Women's issues. I am trying to bring back the sensible, and
my little effort to transform the stone into a paper ball, first at
Jantar Manter and then at LTG is layered , which i guess, has managed
to talk about what is happening on streets, so part of new aesthetics
value judgment.

Those who will throw stones will throw them anyway, both you and me
are not going to stop them, In fact none, all those who spoke at the
LTG will never ever think of pelting a stone to hit the other. Will
they? But any solidarity with the protesters does not amount to bad
faith. It will be reciprocated, they will also endores what they dont
do. For example, Arundhati Roy insisted that Kashmiris should think of
other injustices and not pick and choose

Well, see how the new non-fiction writing is out-witting the fiction
at stalls. The books which speak about the realities uninhibitedly are
liked by the masses. Was not the performance at LTG another book which
has created controversy like those books  which are blamed for
encouraging dissent or indecency etc. and yet we both uphold the
freedom of expression and dont want any banning of books, right.

There is already a huge literature films, poems performances coming
out from modern  movements, Tibetans are supported for their cause all
over the world, much to the annoyance of Chinese. There are many other
examples, but how to see Kashmir, a little away from our national
perspective. The situation is ripe for inserting skepticism in the
minds of young kashmiris,

I am sure SSAG would not have approved the idea of my doing the
performance at the stage which actually obliterated him for a while.
There is no deep willingness in the minds of our intellectuals to
understand the roles which arts can play in deconstructing the logjams
of issues. Be it kashmir or any other. All we do is depend squarely on
the essay prose, mostly journalistic, which creates confusions without
any accountability.

We have actually rendered the arts to a position which is less than a
Dalit. and when it looks grand on the stage it is like a temple
prostitute dancing for the Brahmin or Bureaucrat in the present
context. All the sarkari sufi mehfils finally manage to throw a little
money at the perormers in exchange of legitimizing their corrupt
practices back in their hidden cabins.

See, how shamelessly we bring in tribal dancers time and again to
dance on the occasions which exhibit the voluptuous use of money and
justification of corrupt practices. This all is happening because we
know all the art forms are finally subservient to the Nation State.
They are not autonomous in design. and if they try outside that, they
are labeled uninteresting or against the society or state. See, how we
treat nudity in art,. FN Souza was once arrested along with his nude
painting. We can lynch Hussain for daring to do a little line work
depicting Goddess.  We are terribly so...

No, my dear, we are basically too primitive in concept. Primitive not
in positive sense, but unwittingly feeding the system which is
enriching the capitalist consumerist world order.
Well, if we all are zombies and are willing to lead a life which has
no space for radical thought, then be it so

But how to stop the spirituality to reside in marginality of all that....

I am a little straw on the vast surface

with love
is