[Reader-list] Announcement>>Kathak in the City

Iram Ghufran iram at sarai.net
Sun Oct 24 23:51:09 IST 2010

Ashavari Majumdar Dance Company, supported by Sarai CSDS

presents

CITY

7 pm, Friday, Oct 29, 2010
Max Mueller Bhawan, 3 Kasturba Gandhi Marg, Delhi

**

A response to the Indian city -this piece reveals the fluidity of the
space between daily and ‘extra-daily’ movements, between dance and
‘non-dance’. Contemporary urban Indian narratives, characters map the
relationship between rhythm, movement and text using Kathak technique.

Choreographer’s note:

For this production my movement research was scourced from observing
‘daily’ movements- to evoke the casual chaos of Indian city streets as
part of the City as Studio Fellowship with Sarai CSDS.The most exciting
aspect for me has been discovering the fluid nature of the space between
‘dance’ and ‘non-dance’. This process allowed me to explore and play in
that space.

Kathak technique trains you to improvise with rhythm and movement and
interpret text in multiple ways. This piece extends these techniques to
explore certain narratives and characters. It has been challenging to
collaborate with dancers with radically different movement vocabularies.
They contributed stories and the piece achieved its present form in an
unexpected, organic way.

--
Ashavari Majumdar Dance Company
394 Purna Das Road