[Reader-list] Azadi: The Only Way ­ Report from a Turbulent Few Hours in Delhi

Tapas Ray [Gmail] tapasrayx at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 17:12:08 IST 2010

ARB,

It is true that in a conversation, what one participant says is
influenced by what s/he knows about the other's identity, but that is
not necessarily disingenuous. Don't we - unconsciously most of the
time but sometimes also consciously - interprete what others say in
light of what we know about their identities? Naturally, our responses
are also influenced by that knowledge. So, in a situation where A
knows who/what B is but B doesn't know who/what A is, the conversation
is hobbled by a kind of power imbalance - the last thing one needs in
rational discourse.

My two-bit.

Tapas