[Reader-list] Statement by Arundhati Roy

Rajkamal Goswami rajkamalgoswami at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 15:14:20 IST 2010

Dear Aditya

I am sure yo know about her fictional work 1 novel & 1 screenplay. But
I am not sure if you have read her non-fictional work. Well she didn't
win booker for them but she won the "Sydney Peace Prize" and the
"Sahitya Akademi award" which she politely refused. Her body of non
fiction work is far greater (both in volume and quality) than her
fictional work. I hope you have read her work. If not please read
atleast the essential Roy viz "The greater common good", the "Algebra
of Infinite justice", "Come September", Do Turkeys Enjoy
Thanksgiving", "Peace is War", "Listening To Grasshoppers", "Shall We
Leave It to the Experts?" and my favorite  “The Ladies have feelings
so…”  You should definitely read the last one because it answers your
query about the very questions that you have raised.

Regarding a fiction writer being political, well all writers are
political. That some chose to remain silent is also a political
activity. That Ms. Roy choses to write her politics and throw it open
to ideas and criticism is the best thing I really like about her.
Besides she is also indulged in field activism, giving her voice to
the voiceless and rooting for real democracy.

Thanks

Rajkamal