[Reader-list] Two Essential Commentaries on Sedition

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Wed Oct 27 18:51:36 IST 2010

Dear All,

Here are, two, (in my opinion) absolutely briliiant commentaries on
the question of sedition, that some people have been arguing about on
this list. The first, 'Sedition is the Highest Duty of the Citizen'
is by Nivedita Menon, and the second, The Restitution of the Conjugal
Rights of the State, by Lawrence Liang over the past two days on
Kafila.org. Apologies in advance for cross-posting. The two texts can
be accessed at

1. Sedition, the Highest Duty of the Citizen, by Nivedita Menon

http://kafila.org/2010/10/26/sedition-the-highest-duty-of-a-citizen/

2. Restitution of the Conjugal Rights of the State, by Lawrence Liang

http://kafila.org/2010/10/27/the-restitution-of-the-conjugal-rights-
of-the-state/

Personally, I never cease to be surprised at how quickly my e-mail in-
box, and the comments section after allegedly 'seditious' posts made
by me fills up with suggestions that I be raped by someone, or that I
be forced to have sex with someone, (often a female blood relative).
These suggestions invariably stem from upright and self-declared
Indian nationalists, using 'handles' like 'Indian National' - whose
prime pass-time seems to be fantasizing about alleged seditionists
like my self and some of my friends being made to entangle in some
form or the other of forced sexual activity against our consent.

On second thoughts, there is no real reason to be surprised. Given
the predeliction that sections of the state security apparatus (the
army, the CRPF, the BSF and the various police organizations) have
for adopting rape and the sexualized humiliation of men and women as
an integral part of their operational counter-insurgency doctrine all
over the territory administered by the Indian Republic, it is not
surprising to consider the content and tenor of the outraged
patriotic comments. They  are merely the sophisticated discursive
edge of the practical sledge-hammer operational doctrine often
actually wielded by the custodians of the unity and integrity of the
Indian state against those who are, as Liang and Menon, put it,
simply 'disaffected'.

Perhaps the repressed 'primal scene' that foreshadows the current
surge of Indian nationalist indignation at the mere thought of losing
Kashmir has some interesting dimensions that could do with some
astute, and might I add, compassionate, pyschoanalytic investigation.
An idle speculation - does any of this have to do with the
unacknowledged incestuous relationship between sections of the
(colonial) Government of India Act of 1935 and the (republican)
Constitution of India of 1950, of which Section 124(A), which our
patriots invoke with such intensity, is the fruit. They don't call it
Mai-Baap Sarkar for nothing, do they?

best

Shuddha

-----------------

1.

Sedition, The Highest Duty of  A Citizen

by Nivedita Menon, Kafila, October 26, 2010

Sedition: the attempt “to excite disaffection towards the Government
established by law in India”, a crime under Section 124 A of the
Indian Penal Code, a provision introduced by the British colonial
government in 1860.

The only revisions to this colonial legal provision since its passing
have been over the years, to remove anachronistic terms like “Her
Majesty”, “the Crown Representative”, “British India”, “British
Burma” and “Transportation for life or any shorter term”.

But it seems “Disaffection towards the government”, the archaic usage
notwithstanding, is a timeless crime. Section 124A, therefore, these
few cosmetic changes apart, has remained unchanged for the last 150
years.

(That’s what we mean when we say we are an ancient civilization.)

In 1922 Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi and Shankarlal Ghelabhai Banker,
editor, and printer/publisher respectively of Young India, were tried
under this section before the District and Sessions Judge, Ahmedabad.

Pleading guilty to the charge, Gandhi said:

“I have no desire whatsoever to conceal from this court the fact that
to preach disaffection towards the existing system of Government has
become almost a passion with me…” Sedition, said Gandhi, “in law is a
deliberate crime”, but it “appears to me to be the highest duty of a
citizen.”

Today, almost a hundred years later, the government of “the world’s
largest democracy” threatens to invoke this exact same colonial
provision instituted to curb resistance to foreign rule,  against a
writer whose bright integrity has never faltered, and whose powerful
voice has been consistently raised against injustice. Arundhati Roy
is tragically right, we can but pity ourselves,  citizens (so-called)
of a nation “that has to silence its writers for speaking their
minds… that needs to jail those who ask for justice, while communal
killers, mass murderers, corporate scamsters, looters, rapists, and
those who prey on the poorest of the poor, roam free.”

Disaffection means “the absence or alienation of affection or
goodwill; estrangement”.  Does it look like there is a whole lot of
goodwill towards the Government of India in Kashmir, which Roy has to
work hard towards alienating? All over the North-East and Kashmir,
reeling under the military jackboot of the draconian AFSPA, the
Government of India is nothing but an occupying army, a spontaneous
disaffection generator.

A young Manipuri lecturer in  Delhi University tells of sitting at a
roadside dhaba in Imphal with a few friends, when a uniformed Indian
Army officer passing by, stopped. Stand up, he barked. Sing the
national anthem. They had barely begun, when he slapped one of them.
Your accent is wrong, he said. Do it again. They did it again.

No isolated incident this, but simply the routine humiliation of an
occupied people. The Indian Nation rampant in all its pride and
glory, generating affection.

“Sedition” and “contempt of court” have no place in a modern
democracy. No justification whatsoever for provisions that
criminalize and silence dissent, critique and ethical challenges to
the dominant order. These provisions are unconstitutional, anti-
democratic and utterly intolerable.

Sedition is no longer a criminal offence in Uganda after a recent
High Court ruling, and the provision is being challenged in Malawi
and also in Australia. (The last person prosecuted under Australia’s
sedition laws was Brian Cooper, a patrol officer in Papua New Guinea,
then under Australian colonial rule. He was charged and convicted in
1960 because “he advisedly spoke and published seditious words” when
urging “the natives” to demand PNG’s independence from Australia.)

If disaffection from the government is a crime, who would remain out
of jail? Kashmiris, all of the North-East, populations dislocated by
dams, corporations, Commonwealth Games, SEZ’s, tribal people in
Niyamgiri, Chhattisgarh, farmers in Raigarh, Maoists…

The people, said Bertold Brecht, have lost the confidence of the
government.

Therefore the government has decided to dissolve the people, and
elect another.

2.

The Restitution of the Conjugal Rights of the State, by Lawrence
Liang, Kafila, October 27, 2010

Despite the many thoughtful critiques of the relationship between
family and the state, I have always found it a little surprising that
there is very little commentary on the relationship between two
strange legal fictions. The first is the idea of the restitution of
conjugal rights (RCR), and the other is sedition. The restitution of
conjugal rights basically consists of the right of a spouse to demand
that his or her- though more often his than her- spouse cohabit with
him after she has ‘withdrawn from his society’. Away from the misty
world of legal euphemisms, we all know what this means: that you can
be forced to sleep with a somewhat less than pleasant person against
your wishes. A legal commitment to love in a marriage is a serious
thing indeed which only warns us that we must proceed with such a
choice very carefully.

But like many marriages, the question of choice is somewhat
restricted for many people- as is indeed the case of the choice of
loving your country. After all isn’t sedition a crime of passion, and
the punishment of an offence of the withdrawal of love for your
nation. It is interesting to see that while treason in Sec. 121 of
the IPC is about the waging of war against the state, sedition is
about a forced love. It is about the creation of ‘disaffection’. As
Nivedita Menon points out in her post, disaffection means “the
absence or alienation of affection or goodwill; estrangement”.

A legal commitment to love your nation is also a serious thing
indeed, and what then is the punishment of sedition if not, the
restitution of the conjugal rights of the state?

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
The Sarai Programme at CSDS
Raqs Media Collective
shuddha at sarai.net