[Reader-list] WHO IS AFRAID OF ARUNDHATI ROY?

SJabbar sonia.jabbar at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 18:25:46 IST 2010

Dear ARB,

I am not bereft of answers.  I simply don't know how to address your
aggression since reasoned argument never seems to work with you.  I had not
meant to shut you up with my gentle teasing of your name and once I realized
you were upset, I had apologized.  But the apology seems to hold little
meaning for you, which I find puzzling.

You say I don't hold the Indian state's actions to the same rigorous tests
that I put the Kashmiri leadership through.  I had asked you to clarify your
statement and that meant providing examples of what you consider to be my
'hypocrisy' or my 'soft' position on the Indian state.  But you don't come
back to this forum with proof but with further accusations,

You accuse me of an ever-changing stance.  Again, since this is a public
forum, I feel you need to back up your assertions with something a little
more substantive than offering me candy at the end of each exchange.  BTW, I
don't think it's a bad thing at all to change one's position or idea on
something.  Political situations are not static and it's down right silly to
remain wedded to an idea just because you happened to have thought it was a
good one to begin with.

Sincerely,
sj

On 31/10/10 3:19 PM, "Aditya Raj Baul" <adityarajbaul at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Inder Salim and TaraPrakash,

I was just showing Sonia Jabbar a piece of
> her own style. She had shut
me up in this cheap, condescending way when I
> simply asked her why she
was not holding the India's state's acts in Kashmir
> to the same
rigorous tests that she was putting the Kashmiri leadership to. I
> am
all for respectful disagreement and reasonable engagement and do not
wish
> to contribute to the prevalent culture of malevolent name-calling
on this
> esteemed list. I just wanted to show Sonia Jabbar, as an
aberration, the
> meaning of the Biblical saying, ''Do unto others as
you would have them do
> unto you'. The reference here, if you haven't
followed, is on another thread,
> where Sonia Jabbar was engaged in a
dialogue with Shuddhabrata Sengupta. I
> urge you to go through that
exchange again.

I apologise to you, Inder Salim
> and TaraPrakash, and to anyone else
for whom this left a bad taste in the
> mouth. But as regards with Sonia
Jabbar I think the purpose has been
> served.

Also, I'm not speaking out of anger, but out of amusement to see
> Sonia
Jabbar bereft of answers when the hypocrisy of her ever-changing
stance
> is exposed.

best regards,
Aditya Raj Baul