[Reader-list] Unfortunate and Condemnable - Reported Killing of Disarmed Policeman by CPI(Maoist) in Bihar

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Thu Sep 2 22:31:02 IST 2010

Dear All,

If it is true, as has been reported in sections of the media, that a
disarmed policeman held hostage by the CPI (Maoist) in Bihar has been
killed, then this act is totally worthy of condemnation. The killing
of an unarmed captive  is NOT the same thing as a death that occurs
during an actual incidence of armed conflict. It cannot be justified
under any circumstances, and is just as dastardly an act as the fake
encounter that killed the Maoist spokesperson and negotiator known as
'Azad' which occurred recently.

If the CPI(Maoist) is fighting a 'just war' as it claims to be doing,
then, enemy combatants held by it must be seen by it as 'prisoners of
war'. They must be treated as such, and not as hostages to be
dispensed with. This necessarily means, that the CPI(Maoist) and
military formations allied to it and under its command, must abide
by. and be seen to be abiding, by the rules of combat that have
evolved through international consensus. These include the Geneva
conventions, and their additional protocols, which prohibit, under
any circumstances the torture or execution of prisoners of war. It
may be noted that prominent insurgent groups in the North East have
adhered to these conventions in the conduct of their operations
against the armed might of the Indian state. This indicates not
weakness, but strength and a considerable degree of political
maturity There is absolutely no reason why the CPI(Maoist) cannot be
expected to display the same degree of political maturity in its own
conduct of war.

It is incumbent upon all those of us who wish to see an end to the
atrocities that are associated with 'Operation Green Hunt' that we
demand of the CPI(Maoist) that it not stoop to a level of conduct
that is identical to that we normally associate with the state that
it claims to oppose.

Equally, I believe that we should build public pressure such that the
Government of India, and the concerned state government roll back
their attempts to militarize large areas of Central and Eastern India
and that they enter into immediate, unconditional negotiations with
the CPI(Maoists). in the immediate scenario, I believe that the
concerned state agencies should release all political detainees who
have been held without charge, and enter into serious and concrete
negotiations so that the lives of the remaining three hostages held
by the CPI(Maoist) are not endangered.

regards,

Shuddha

Shuddhabrata Sengupta