[Reader-list] Follow-up on the Blackberry story

Inder Salim indersalim at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 22:49:28 IST 2010

very good

understanding it further
here is following by Solomon Benjamin

http://world-information.org/wio/readme/992006691/1154964925

Either poverty must lose the fear of property, or property in fear of
poverty will destroy democracy[1]

If the ‘south’ and particularly their cities experience much higher
growth rates than those in the ‘north’, has Int. capital reconstituted
itself to invest and gain from these locations? Since real estate in
cities of the South and retail provides one of the highest returns,
how is land and its connected institutions sought to be framed to
facilitate such extraction?

This essay suggests that corporate led globalisation in rooting itself
in cities of the south, faces un-expected confrontation in what they
see as a new ‘Hydra’. What seemed like ‘messy, under-developed third
world’ environments (Figure 1: Sundramma’s house) turned out to be
increasingly beyond planning, assuming a life force of its own and
subverting a global ideal.

I borrow the term Hydra from two kinds of sources. The first use can
be found in ‘English media press’ among the elite to describe three
situations: an extensive and un-controllable underground economy; a
messy, chaotic and corrupt city hall centred politics and bureaucracy;
an all-pervasive un-authorized, non-conforming, un-planned, cancer
like slumming process which rapidly edges out ordered city growth and
subverts Master Planning. My second source is the use of the term by
Linebaugh and Rediker to describe the quest for alternatives in
16-18th Century Europe and the Americas.[2] They show how a ‘motley’
bunch of sea farers, slaves, convicts in being banished seek out
alternatives to define conceptions of property, and a way of life, and
in doing so, termed a ‘hydra’ to threaten establishment.

Today I see at least three aspects of the Hydra transforming what we
know of ‘property’, ‘democracy’, and the conceptually flawed trilogy
‘the Nation State-Market-civil society’. The New Hydras are severely
threatening in being shadows and stealth-like structures, capable of
eroding the ‘self’. In breaking down binaries, they encroach on other
binary/dualistic based conceptions.

The new Hydras encroach on ‘property’ and the economy: Perhaps on the
most structural level, the Hydra transforms notions of property. While
located in seemingly mainstream notions of property, these are
encroached upon in the forms of multiple tenures and claims that make
centralized control and surplus extraction increasingly impossible
(see figure 1-A: Street side Hydras). What emerges instead is a
complex of networked bazaar like small firm clusters. Thus emerging
diversity of tenure underpins and is at the same time shaped by an
increasingly sophisticated economy. This comes at a time when globally
connected big business (with the highest levels of government policy
making and legislative apparatus at their side) promote digital forms
of land title recording and a range of financial and institutional
architecture to reinforce exclusive property regimes (see Figure 2:
global-local networks in IT Campus development).

Globally connected Financial Institutions, in partnership with a range
of other players, invest in urban designed IT campus developments in
cities like Bangalore, Delhi, Bombay and Hyderabad with excellent
profits. A particular financial architecture around ‘Special Project
Vehicles’ (SPVs), and mechanisms such as Transfer of Development
Rights (TDR) facilitates urban renewal of central city areas and also
makes high returns to International capital possible. Real estate
profits accrue from a play of ‘digital titles’ intended for online
trading. The World Bank in partnership with India’s largest private
banks invest $ 1000 m in e-governance, and in particular, computerized
land titles. The digitisation of 20 million land records by the
Goverment of Karnataka designated as a World Bank ‘Best practice’,
reducing 1500 forms of land tenure to 256! This has allowed very large
real estate companies catering to the IT industry to access land
Bangalore, resulting in dramatic changes in land markets. An extension
of the concept is a GIS based digitising of titles in 57 towns and
secondary cities financed by the Asian Development Bank with back
office support by the personal funds of the CEO of India’s largest IT
company.

Contest comes from a Hydra secured by diverse tenure regimes inherent
within the ‘occupation and settlement’ process built around de-facto
titles. In some parts, customary tenure forms a further block against
this modernization ideal. These underpin incrementally developing
small-scale land developments that house mixed land use as well as
manufacturing and bazaar areas. The Hydra’s support comes from
‘regularization’ of occupied land and improvement of basic
infrastructure by municipal councils. The latter’s gains are revenue
and political clout, actions which strengthen and spur diverse tenure
regimes.

Such de-facto landscapes, highly agile and transformative of local
society in economy and politics, come into being where information
shaping the market of land is driven by the potential of change: of
inter-connected home based manufacturing and of municipal upgrading of
basic infrastructure, both actions which increase efficiency and by
way of settlement, new social connections.

The new Hydras encroach on democracy: Linebaugh re-enters our world
when we see the location of fluid de-facto property being located in a
building block of mainstream ‘democracy’: municipal politics. Not only
are political party structures increasingly authoritarian but they are
today susceptible to ‘capture’ by globally empowered and invested big
business. Not surprisingly, this also makes space for those city
builders enamoured with the mega and the large - seeming ways to make
cities globally competitive! For this range of actors - the business,
bureaucratic and political elite - what is deeply threatening is the
opaqueness of municipal politics and its driving political economy of
small business. Hardly conducive to centralized control, it is little
wonder that national headquarters of political parties and their
appointed provincial chiefs, backed by elite ‘civil society’ and the
World Bank, press for ‘transparency and accountability’ reforms aimed
at local government. Little on corporate accountability though! The
response of the Hydra here is municipal democracy. However, in a
situation of polarized power structures, such a democracy relies on
stealth, on internal bureaucratic conventions, and interventions
accentuating multiple forms of tenure to reinforce political and
economic constituency.

The new Hydra encroaches on city building: the Hydra, located in
municipal government and rooted in the materiality of land, location
and economy, anchors the day-to-day process of city building. This
process contrasts conceptions of city building located in the
conceptual framework of the ‘nation state’ or then the ‘market’. In
these latter conceptions, the driving force is of the grand plan: one
posed for equity and the other posed for efficiency. Either extreme
poses centralized controls bound to break down when we consider local
narratives of how areas come into being and those of wider city
transformation. As urban terrain turns increasingly contested and
conflict ridden, the distinction between normative planning and
politics sets the stage to introduce the concept of ‘civil society’.
Perhaps this is posed to strengthen the binary with a replacement of a
trilogy of the ‘nation state-market - civil society’. Closer
inspections of ‘civil society’ turn out to be little other than elite
congregations.

New institutional and legal framework for mega land acquisition makes
available huge tracts of land in Bangalore’s periphery to construct IT
campuses. In central city areas, urban renewal focused SPVs and TDRs
open up space for Malls and Multiplexes designed over huge urban
territory. Little wonder that the CEOs of India’s largest real estate
firms and globally connected Financial Institutions press the central
government to implement such frameworks in the more globally connected
cities, posing these as a pre-requisite for ‘global competitiveness’.
Many of the changes came about under the new governance model of the
Bangalore Agenda Task Force (BATF) - headed by the city’s IT honchos
supported by the then Chief Minister. Seen as a ‘supply side’ reform,
they also framed the ‘citizen-centric’ Jannagraha and PROOF (a
citizens campaign to promote transparency and accountability in local
government)as the ‘demand side’. The head of Bangalore’s and now
India’s famous ‘civil society movement’ makes an ardent plea for
framing of digital rather than analogue land titles. Contest comes
from the Hydra of municipal councils across party lines, the lower
bureaucracy, and poorer residents resisting attempts to impose fines
and increased user charges. The Hydra’s support in municipal democracy
is critical. Local councils encourage occupation and extension of
village and town areas. In central city areas, older forms of
municipal licensing and tenancy payments help establish claims. The
Hydra’s support: Municipal councils’ ‘messy’ and opaque politics and
administrative procedures.

These, not surprisingly, take on the responsibility to address what
has been discussed before: A de-generative cancer-like politics
afflicting cities like a Hydra. The imaginary of the global city is
powerfully seductive to a variety of groups driven by various
interests. For many within ‘civil society’, the way forward is for
land management to be framed in digital records, GIS based online
monitoring ‘un-authorized hawkers’ and non-conforming land use, and
reigning in the politics within Municipal Government via the agenda of
‘transparency and accountability’. Central also are attempts to
increase high-level bureaucratic control over elected municipal
government via city commissioners and ‘citizen charters’. City
building becomes strangely conflictual over control of territory,
amalgamation into super large complexes of Malls and Multiplexes.
These mega complexes are partnerships of administrator led Municipal
Government and big business. Most important in ways to contain the
Hydra, they combine newer legal and regulatory structures that not
just provide access to cheap institutional finance, but dissolve
claims over location to emphasize corporate control. The bustling
bazaars selling look-a-likes and also other daily consumption goods
helps a counter encroachment to root. In doing so, reinforcing the
Hydra to carve out autonomous political and economic space.

Cities as locations of the Hydra pose the question of hybridity of
property central to its politics and economy. Hybridity also seems
central to help understand contemporary forms of globalisation, and
move away from conceptually defunct binaries. Such hybridity of
property gives globalising cities like Bangalore particular
distinctions.

[1] Peter Linebaugh, Public Lecture at “Contested Commons/Trespassing
Publics: A Conference on Inequalities, Conflicts and Intellectual
Property” 6th - 8th January 2005 in New Delhi, India. Sarai/CSDS
/Alternative Law Forum

[2] Linebaugh P., Rediker M., The Many-Headed Hydra Verso New York 2000

Solly Benjamin is an independent researcher operating out of Bangalore
and also part of a recently group called CASUMm. He has been looking
at issues of urbanism, its politics, economy, and issues of land.

http://indersalim.livejournal.com