[Reader-list] Fwd: Fw: Amnesty International Public Statementon Rising Deaths in Kashmir

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Tue Sep 21 01:22:27 IST 2010

Dear Bipin Trivedi,

Once again, I appeal to you to not continue to embarass us with your
ignorance.

Amnesty International and several other such organizations, such as
Human Right Watch, have consistently opposed the United States'
conduct of war in Iraq and Afghanistan. Amnesty routinely takes up
the causes of prisoners illegaly detained by the US military in
Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, as well as detenus (of all kinds) in the
prison system within the United States. Amnesty has a limited
mandate, to monitor and campaign against human rights violations.
That is its job and that is what it does. To accuse it of 'not acting
against the war in Iraq' is a bit like asking a neuro surgen why he
is not working on a cure against lung cancer. It acts against those
dimensions of the conduct of the war in Iraq that concern the
specific human rights violations of combatants and non-combatants
that arise out of the conduct of the war.There are other
organizations that are committed to opposing the war in general.
They, for instance do not concern themselves with specific human
rights questions in the way that Amnesty does. This is only sensible,
as there is only so much that an organization given the limitations
of time and resources can afford to do.

For your information. Amnesty does not appeal to governments alone.
It asks insurgents as much as governments to respect human rights. It
condemns all forms of capital punishment and torture, as well as
'extra-judicial killings' regardless of whether they are carried out
by the state or by non state actors.

Amnesty was amongst the first to condemn the assasination of Hriday
Nath Wanchoo, the respected Kashmiri Pandit human rights lawyer.

http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/info/ASA20/057/1992/en

An Amnesty International delegation that went to Kashmir earlier this
year, met with representatives of Kashmiri Pandits and Sikhs still
living in the Kashmir valley and took note of their concerns.

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_amnesty-team-meets-kashmiri-
pandits_1385107

And recently, Amnesty International has criticised 'executions' of
captive policemen by the Communist Party of India (Maoist).

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/article614211.ece

I hope this persuades you to not deliver your knee jerk reactions
that presuppose that anyone who criticizes the conduct of the Indian
state must automatically be turning a blind eye to the human rights
violations carried out by others (including those who are
antagoniststs of the Indian state.)

best

Shuddha