[Reader-list] Debate on Anna Hazare and Draft Jan Lokpal Bill on Kafila.org

A. Mani a.mani.cms at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 23:39:53 IST 2011

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 10:55 PM, Shuddhabrata Sengupta
<shuddha at sarai.net> wrote:
> I am not posting the entire texts, as that would take up too much space in the body of a single message, but the links are easy to get to. Hope this is of interest to some reader on this list. Apologies for cross posting from Kafila.org

The write-ups concern the democratic aspect and obvious lack of
understanding of problem complexity.  Anybody serious about tackling
corruption would have clearer plans and not vague emotions.

The main problem with the movement is its complete lack of direction.
Interestingly they do not define corruption and the exact scope of the
bill.  Hazare does not seem to have any understanding of corruption in
the corporate world.
If the union cabinet decides to grant astronomical degree of
concessions to the corporate sector (including themselves), then does
that fall under the bill?

Further the gang leading the 'media orchestrated movement' has clear
political connections and motivations. See the article in
www.pragoti.org for example.

In my opinion, the 'movement' is an attempt by sections of the ruling
bourgeois class to seize more power and try and play down the evils of
UPA-2.

Best

A. Mani

--