[Reader-list] Supporting a Musical with Municipal School Kids from Pune

Chandni Parekh chandni_parekh at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 12 14:29:18 IST 2011

Excerpts from Mansi's mail are below. Read the entire mail at
http://bit.ly/hta1JO

I am Mansi A Panjwani, a fellow from the first batch of Teach For India and for
the last two years I have served as a teacher at a Municipal Corporation English
Medium School in Pune, where the parents of my children are rickshaw drivers,
scrap sellers, housemaids and some even unemployed.

Through these two years, I have worked tirelessly to empower my kids not only
with conceptual knowledge and skills, but also with values they can carry forth
into their daily lives. As a result of this, we have come a long way.

 From not one child being able to speak in English, today we’re dreaming of
having a Musical in the same language. From students studying out of fear, today
they study joyfully because they realise “knowledge is power”. However, I am
most proud when I see them becoming better people, letting go of violence and
knowing how to help each other, speaking the language of respect with each
other.

As my fellowship is drawing to a close, I asked myself what can I concretely
leave behind with these children that will last with them throughout their
lives?

The answer was a Musical. Through the power of dramatics and dance, through the
power of expression, I thought it best to validate the values we've displayed in
our classroom. The theme of the Musical is inspired by the Wizard of Oz.

The Question we ask ourselves through the Musical is - “What makes us
happy/successful in life?” and through the drama, children realize 3 qualities
we need in ourselves- (a) Brains [used for hardwork], (b) Heart [used for
compassion towards others] and (c) Courage [the spirit of never giving up in the
face of any obstacle].

We approach you with all sincerity to help our idea Come Alive. Please know we
will be immensely grateful for the same.

We are looking for sponsorships or financial funding for the event, venue,
taking care of the food requirements of the children etc. Also, we're in need of
volunteers or summer interns in Pune who can contribute to making this event a
success... giving them a chance too, to work closely with kids as well as have a
glimpse into the education sector at the grassroots level. We're also looking
for art experts, a director who can help with rehearsals.

We are accepting financial contributions towards this Musical on this link:

http://www.giveindia.org/give/pledgepage/HelpOurMusicalCOMEALIVE

We hope our idea touches you in some way and we eagerly look forward to your
support.

Warm Regards,

Mansi Arun Panjwani
Teach For India Fellow (2009)